11

'you're my high and low'

Draco and I stood next to each other,smug looks on our faces. Today was Quidditch tryouts for Slytherin and there were only two spots to fill in. One Seeker and one chaser, both positions were Draco and I's desire. And I would do anything to get that position.

"Alright, snakes. Here's your little pep talk: don't fall on your broom or i'll hex you on the common room when I see you. If you can't stay on your broom your going to have to leave and not waste my time. There, there's your pep talk." He says with his loud and intimidating voice. But as usual, I couldn't be intimidated nor be afraid. Just can't and it's my advantage. Some kids left and there was just half of us who had ambition to be on the team now. I look over to Draco and he gave me an assuring smile. I could only smirk as I turned my attention to the people in front of me.

"Okay,since you stayed you're going to try not disappoint me. Chasers to me, seekers to Graham." I instinctively looked at Draco and saw him going with the others. I sighed, already bored with everything.

"Get on your brooms!" Marcus Flint shouts his order above air. I do it silently and hover up next to him. He gives me a curious look as if trying to figure out me.

"You're Slytherin, right?" He asks, a hand pointing at me. I nod wordlessly and he looks at me up and down and began to nod himself, an impressed look in his face.

"Doesn't mean you have a good heritage you'll get in. Takes a lot of courage to come here in the field, especially for a girl. So I expect a lot from you. " he says and I shrug looking innocent.

"It's ambition, Captain. It takes ambition." I said, a Cheshire like grin appearing on my face. He lets out a short laugh, amused and impressed.

"Okay, ambitious snakes. I'm one Chaser down and there's three of you who thought you'd fill it. Well let me tell 'ya, I won't settle to acceptable. I want the best in my team. So if any of you who isn't what I think is best in my team, you're all out." He explains and I was amused at his little speech. Then it took a second for me to snap out of my little admiration for his words and felt determined to be the best. And the only way to be the best? Is to overlap Marcus' abilities.

He shouts out our first trial: a speed test. This of course got me all giddy as I have been chased by this particularly large bird that looked like a horse and managed to get off him by the use of my broom. I was up against a fourth year boy and a sixth year boy. So when we get to position, I had an impromptu plan.

"You know these are all mind games right?" I suddenly said to the boys. Expectedly, they turn their heads towards me. Their reactions were both surprised and confused. Probably because I was talking to them.

"Yeah, their just mind games. Marcus said we have to be the best, right? It's already a sign. It means none of us is since he is the best ." I said, a look of knowing in my face. They ponder on this and the fourth year left over to Marcus. Then he was out, an enemy down. I bit my lip to stop the grin by looking remorsed. Then the sixth year goes saying encouraging words for me and wished me luck. Not that I needed it, I guess he had to say those for himself.

"Anyway, I'll count to three. On three you should go. One two three—" I zoom past them at the moment he attempted to say the word. Then circled around the pitch three times as told so. I got to Marcus seconds before the Sixth year who started after three.

"Okay so now we'll have to test how we'll you play with me. As you know, I play harsh. By harsh I mean—punched in the gut and sly kicks. I don't want to see you making obvious moves because that makes penalty and Madam Hooch has the eyes of a hawk. Litetally." He says and I nod then my gaze traveled from Marcus to Draco who was busy trying to catching the snitch.

"When I blow the whistle we're gonna start playing. Now since it takes so much time to make a separate task, I figured while I check you're playstyle I'll be seeing of how good of a shot you are. See that ugly man? Yeah, he's Adrian Pucey the Keeper. He'll block you're shots." He says pointing at the boy who was hovering near the hoops. He gives Marcus the middle finger and I snickered at this. I hover above Marcus who whistled and tossed the quaffle at the same time. With no time to waste, I catch it easily with my hand and secured it as I make my way to the hoops. And unexpectedly came some "enemies"as they try to knock me off my broom. I my eyes quickly scan and I notice Marcus on my right. Since there was another "enemy" on my right I nod my head down and he understood quickly and hovered below me. I dropped the quaffle and Marcus zooms over to the hoops, he was then trapped by some "enemies" again. Since I still had one with me, constantly trying to knock me off my broom I couldn't help Marcus. Since the "enemy" was in my right, I thought of an idea. I fly next to it and made forceful left turn,making the end of my broom crash with the "enemies". So when I got back on my trail I notice Marcus was still trapped. And that the sixth year was had to avoid bludgers that Marcus conjured. Sighing, I went over and flew over the Captain and catched the Quaffle as he tossed it to me. I zoom to the hoops and the menacing Keeper. And with my left arm, I used all the force I could to keep the ball's speed fast. And when I released, Pucey couldn't catch it. I smirk at him and he gives me an approving nod.

----
Please don't forget to vote and comment what you think about the story 🥰