Chapter 18

In the middle of our dinner our attention was diverted when the sound of a clinking glass. I placed my fork down and face the source of the sound.

Confused everyone stopped cutting their steak and turned to Uncle. He stood up and his gaze surveyed all of us, a smile was plastered on his face and he placed his glass down.

"Sorry for disturbing your meals." He started. "The Sperbund and Thurnsberg family have been granted the gift of comradery, that brought us to where we are now. From a simple computer company turned into consumer electronics, digital distribution and now we have artificial intelligence. " Feeling something was stuck in my throat I grabbed my glass of water and tried to flush whatever was sticking in my throat.

"That said, to strengthen the bond of our families we have mutually consented to proceed to this proposal."

Ah, this is so uncomfortable.

I tried to cough it out, but nothing happened. I reached for my water again, making sure to drain this annoying thing in my throat.

"For the unification of our families, a bond made of marriage will commence." The cold glass touched my lips as I forcibly gulped down the cold water hoping for the best.

"At the age of 20 Sejeong and Sehun will need to get married." What?! Due to shock I gagged to the water causing some to go to my air tract causing me to cough vigorously.

Oh God, will I die?!

"Jug head." I felt brothers hand pat my back as he offered his napkin. While coughing, feeling my eyes tear up I accepted the napkin, turned away and started to wipe my mouth and eyes.

"Father? Is it true? Jug head will be married to that boy?" I saw my brother point at Sehun's direction. Once my throat settled down, I placed the napkin at the side and stared at my father with disbelief.

"Yes Marcus. I know it's a sudden announcement, but this is for the best." Wait, the novel didn't say anything about getting married! Sejeong and Sehun in the original novel were merely classmates from childhood! They were never engaged!

"But father I did not consent to this." I disagreed to their notion. I shift my gaze to mother but she just wiped the corner of her mouth with her napkin and winked at me.

What?

"Sweety, listen to me. Your uncle Walt and I just wants to ensure that our families would have a stronger relationship." Father insisted. "It would pave our path to staying on top, merging our companies would help to reduce cost, we'll get a larger market share. You did say that you want our company to prosper so you'll have a good life right?" My hand started to form a fist.

How could he just say that I wanted the company to prosper so I can live a good life  in front of everyone! Father you'll be the death of me.

"Is this really necessary? Our company is doing well on its own." Brother defended.

"They are too young to understand for now uncle." Suho reasoned. I nervously glanced at him, forgetting he was even sitting there.

"Our company is doing well, but let's not be so complacent that in a year we will remain at the top." Father insisted. Brother wanted to speak out but no words came out of his mouth.

"We just want you kids to enjoy life and not worry about a thing in life, please understand our intentions." Uncle Walt seconded. He sat down and looked at me straight in the eye and then to Sehun.

"This will be for the best." My eyes faltered as my mouth parted, just like my brother, a word barely came out.

What is this novel? Why are the adults acting like this? We're 13 and they are already marrying us off for money?

I tried to dig my memory of my past life, did Sehun and Sejeong really got engaged and I look past that? How could that be possible? That's why I hated Sejeong so much because she's not even valid to be jealous at the heroine!

"I'm sorry kids but there will be no negotiation regarding this."My body suddenly felt weak. The room went silent as we were shocked by their sudden announcement.

What kind of world am I living in?

My eyes landed to Sehun who was locking his eyes at me.

"Sehunie." I silently mouthed. Trying to look for an ally in this table, my eyes were desperate. His eyes darkened as it moved to his father.

"Isn't there another way?" He asked. Uncle lift his head.

"No negotiations, didn't you hear..."

"What if we'll make our own company?" With disbelief in my eyes I kicked him under the table. He didn't flinched and just kept his eyes fixated on his father.

Build our company? Is he insane?

"Son, that is not an option." Uncle rested his head on his hands, he looked like a loan shark asking you for more money.

"Not just a measly company, one that could top yours." He looked at father. "Even top the Thurnsberg, uncle."

Yah!

I kicked him harder one more time under the table.

"Sehun!" I whisper screamed at him, trying to break the contact of his eyes and the two large men present.

"Really?" Father hinted with mockery asked Sehun.

"Yes uncle." His eyes shifted to me as I kept moving my arms to get his attention, I stopped when his eyes locked on mine.

"Sejeong does not approve of this method. I don't want you to put pressure in her." His darkened eyes suddenly lit up and gave me a small smile at the corner of his lips, it was comforting me. My hands relaxed and dropped to my lap.

"Maybe you should consider this one honey?" Auntie smiled as she touched Uncle's shoulder.

"Right Adelaide?" Her gaze went to mothers. Mother who was overlooking the situation raised the corners of her lips and nodded.

"Hm, if Sehun and Sejeong will create their own company, then it's like forming a bond between our families as well." Brother immediately agreed to mother's statement. Suho who was silent gave a small nod to the woman's agreement.

Raising his eyebrow father smiled cockily and exchanged gaze with Uncle.

"Alright. We can accept that, before you kids turn 20, you'll make your own company and within that time..." he smiled "You must exceed at least 7 billion dollars."

I choked up hearing the amount he wants.

Somehow. I think getting married is easier now compared to building our own billion dollar company. Everything that's happening is just completely absurd!

"Alright, give us 1 percent of that money first  and when we turn 18 we will start." Sehun nonchalantly asked for money.

The elders laughed as if it was the funniest thing they've heard in ages. Father closed his eyes shortly and nodded.

"Okay, that's just two years. But, if you failed to then we'll have to proceed to the original plan." Filled with confidence my Father agreed.

"Then it's final. Everyone here is the witness." Suho finalized.

What the hell? Do I even have a say in anything here?