Chapter 41

The dancing music notes surrounded me, the rotating metal cylinder with protruding pins pluck the individual prongs of a steel comb. The princess twirled around on the same song for the ninth time now, she must be tired and confused by now.

Again

For the tenth time she danced with the song.

I looked up from my window and gazed at the full moon above me, it's shining so brightly tonight. I looked down on my chest, a small glint came from the necklace. I placed the opened music box on my coffee table, I held the necklace.

A bitter smile emerged from my lips, why am I thinking about him again at one in the morning in a wonderful Saturday? Carressing the pearl around the small diamond where the glint came from, a small pain rose in my chest.

I exhaled deeply, as if I wanted all air out of my chest to stop the pain and then breathed deeply again.

It's been 5 months and I feel that everything is changing, I'm all left alone now.

It started off that night during our welcome celebration for her, Sehun and I got in an argument due to Irene kissing him when she was intoxicated. He did explain everything to me, down to each detail. How Sally poured out some alcohol in our drinks, when I went out of the room to clear my head the girls played a romantic song, how he was just about to follow me out when Irene stopped him and leaned in to kiss him. He told me he quickly evaded her kiss and at her dizzy state she tripped on herself hard and she came running out.

I felt angry at him at that time ofcourse, I know he did nothing wrong but the thought that Irene almost kissed him gave a little discomfort in my chest. Because I know she's the original heroine of this world, she was supposed to be the one with the right to be by his side.

Rather than feeling angry, I was scared...terrified. I know I'm shameless for even stealing him from her in the first place.

We all made up and agreed to never speak of it again. Eunwoo started to become more bold and he often makes insulting remarks to us. He started to change but we just viewed it as being immature and let him be.

Ever since that day Irene was outcasted by the group, their friendship lasted for only a day and we started to avoid her. We didn't bully her, we just decided to live as if she wasn't there.

I know that's evil still. No matter what justification we make, it's still cruel.

Everything was going smoothly for a month, we all happily bonded over the weekends to have a study out at my place. That's probably the best month I had in the past five months.

It just started going downhill when Sehun was appointed as class monitor, he's already the president of Vionale so our advisor thought it would be okay to assign Sehun so she can easily tell who's assigned to a certain task. Sehun disagreed strongly, so she appointed me to be the monitor but then Sehun changed his mind and agreed.

During the second month, Irene won and became the President of the student council. We were okay with it, I was even happy for her because the president position went to her like the novel.

It made me feel less guilty for some reason.

The half of the second month, all leaders were gathered and were tasked to prepare for months for our 104th year anniversary of the school. Sehun and Irene were chosen to represent our year, so they were assigned on certain tasks together. That made me worry but I trust Sehun.

It was okay at the second month when they kept having meetings that would end late at night, I understood. When they often go to the city to conduct some research for the materials to be used for the anniversary, they would spend dinner together on their way, I understood.

I chuckled thinking about it.

I even sent him some food pack so he can eat on time. He said Irene stole some from him, though it made a small ache in my chest I just brushed it off and said to myself 'it's okay.'

I thought it was okay until he spent less time with me, even a text message would take him hours to respond. When I go to his house for a family dinner auntie would excuse him because he's busy with the anniversary preparation.

Third month, fourth month and this month came. It's the same pattern, even when we see each other at school and I'd ask him how he's doing he would say

"I'm tired now Sejeong-ah."

"We can do it after I'm done with work."

"I'm sorry, I'm supposed to see the others later."

"Let's meet up next time Sejeong-ah."

"Right, I'm so sorry Sejeong-ah."

He never even ask how I'm doing.

"What the fuck are they even preparing?! Were they planning to build another building or a robot for crying out loud?! You could hire people to do all the work for you! Why now?!" I yelled as much as I could, my throat closed up. I heaved a deep breath and tried to stop my tears from falling. I let go of the necklace and stood up and planted my elbow on the patio.

I feel like everything's a mess right now.

"So this is what happens when you disrupt the flow of the deity's words?" I feel so hallow and bitter inside. I've been holding myself back for so many weeks already, I guess tonight is my last straw.

I closed my eyes and reached out for my phone on the table.

My eyes wandered for a bit on my wallpaper, it's a picture of us when we had our vacation, I was leaning against his shoulder and he placed his head on top of mine. The smiles on our faces, we were so happy then.

I shook my head and searched his name on my messages. His last text to me was 'I'm going home now.' which was sent last thursday, two days ago.

I called him, placing the phone against my ears I heard the familiar ringing noise which my ears already got tired of, hearing the same response from a ladies voice how the contact couldn't pick up the phone.

It rang eight times, ninth...I was ready to cancel the call when it stopped ringing.

"Sejeong-ah." He said in a tired voice, I guess he's really tired. It's one in the morning right now.

"What's wrong?" He asked when I didn't respond.

I really missed hearing him ramble about random things when we chat, I miss him asking me if we can meet in the evening to talk and see each other.

I may be out of my mind already but holing myself in self doubt is worse.

I sighed deeply.

"Sehunie." I gulped, my throat drying up as my hoarse voice tried it's best to talk.

"Do you still love me?"