Chapter 42

"What?" I bit my lips so hard that if I push my teeth any more deeper it would cut my lips.

"Just answer." I managed to utter, dropping myself on my seat, I raised my feet to the seat and hugged my knees together shut. The silence of the night dawned to me when all I could hear from the other line is his breathing and my heart pounding against my chest.

"Sejeong-ah, I'll come to you. Let's talk when I get there." He rushed, I heard his blankets being thrown in the corner that caused somethings to fall on the ground.

He didn't talk anymore, I think he forgot to turn off his phone. My eyes fluttered and breathed in deeply, pulling the phone away from my ears so he could not hear my heavy breathing.

So he wants to talk to me now? When he had a lot of chance to even say a little 'I miss you', he didn't.

I closed our call. My eyes fell to my painted toes, it glittered as I moved it up and down, I placed my phone on the table next to my music box. It finally stopped moving, the little princess faced me.

I look like a fool right? A laughingstock...

I drowned myself in deep thoughts, how I endured all those months, how I kept understanding him to the point where I'm left confused on what I should do. I wish I could just be this little princess in the music box, she doesn't know how to feel anything. She wouldn't get confused no matter how many times she kept dancing around.

I have no clue how many minutes passed but I was pulled out of my thoughts when my phone rang. His face flashed on my phone, I picked it up memorizing each features of my favorite photo of him before answering his call.

I didn't speak but my heart pounded so hard.

"Sejeong-ah, I'm outside."

"Okay." Was all I said before dropping the call. I stood up, feeling the blood return to my legs. Prior leaving the patio I closed the music box, letting the little princess rest for a moment.

I wandered to our hall, down the stairs until I was out of our house. In a distance I saw the lights of a car outside our gate, holding on to the hem of my thin cardigan I pulled it in and hugged myself with it as I walked on the cobble pathway.

"Sejeong-ah" I heard his voice in a distance but I decided to not look for him.

"Miss." The guard on duty greeted. I nodded, not bothering to fake a smile. He opened the gate for me and I stepped outside.

I just kept my eyes on my feet not daring to look up to him, wherever he is.

"Sejeong-ah." His footsteps became audible due to the little pebbles he stepped on, producing a crunching sound every step he took. The closer the sound got the more tense I became, when it got louder I stopped him with my hand.

"Stay there." The sounds stopped.

"Just tell it to me straight." I breathed in, pulling the cardigan closer to my body. "Answer my question earlier."

"Please don't be like this." I furrowed my eyebrows, slowly I lift my head, the headlights of the car illuminated half his face. It felt like I haven't seen him this close for years.

"Like what?"

He gulped and rubbed his eyes with his palm, dropping his arms he then looked straight into my eyes.

"Distant." My eyes twitched.

What? Is he joking?