Chapter 43

"Not today too." Brother leaned on my door. I hissed at him and threw my pillows, which almost hit his head but he stopped it in midair with his hand, grasping the cotton fabric. He peaked and smirked.

"Jughead, you're still young. You're barely 16 and you're already this heartbroken." I lay down, bringing the blankets over my head, covering myself from head to toe.

"I'm not really in a mood for another talk brother." His footsteps came closer, I felt him place the pillow at my side as the bed moved indicating he's sitting beside me. I grunt, he's gonna keep talking again.

"You didn't go to school for a week now Jughead, I know you're not in the best state but you don't need to hide." I put down the covers just beneath my eyes, I caught his eyes.

He's also changed too. He used to be so possessive and manipulative when we were kids but now he's this supportive brother. If I didn't know any better he would go mad and throw a fit, telling me that he'll keep anyone who hurts me away.

"Who says I'm hiding?" I arched my eyebrow. He chuckled and placed his hand over my hair, his warm hands made my face relax. His fingers ruffled my bed hair, thanks to the covers I could smile for a bit.

"This is not hiding? What do you call it?" It's ...

"Protecting myself." His eyes faltered. A small brotherly smile slowly became visible, his eyes that resembled moms looked at me in a way that my heart felt at peace.

"Protecting yourself is a double sword you know, you protect yourself from sadness but you'll also do the same to your happiness." My eyes turned misty.

"That's enough mushy talk." He laughed. A drop of tear fell from my eyes which's soaked by the blanket. He got off my bed and turned to me.

"Let's eat lunch?" I smiled under the covers, wiping my tears gone I threw the blankets to the side.

For the first time, I gladly accepted his invitation to lunch.

—-

The last time I went outside my house was the day he and I talked, when I asked him for a break. The passing days after that became tough for me, I was used to call him in the morning to ask if he's free so I usually catch myself staring at my favorite photo of him every morning. So on the fourth day I turned my phone off, I haven't opened it until today.

I don't have that much appetite for my favorite food because it would make me remember of how I frequently send him my favorite dish when he's working late, how he would smile and thank me for the food.

I look at the car window infront of me, reflecting the black pearl in my chest. I remembered how special I felt when he gave me this present, my chest started to ache more. I breathed in, parted my hair to the side reaching out for the lock. My breathing hitched when it finally came off, placing it on my palm its color became more vibrant.

"Auntie." I called.

"Yes miss." I closed my palm and gave it to her which she then accepted immediately.

"Please return it to my room, I don't feel wearing it now." She looked at brother who's beside me. He nodded and she excused herself.

"You ready?" Brother asked, opening the door to the passenger seat. I forced a small smile and nodded.

I entered the room, everyone fell silent. I looked around and saw that everyone's already seated, only one vacant seat stood out. I didn't look at him or even sat next to him, instead I walked passed him. I saw Irene on her seat, she avoided my eyes and looked down.

"Sej." I heard Minnie's voice in a distant.

My breathing sharpened the moment I saw him in my periphery but I maintained my cool and continued walking until I saw a familiar build resting his head on the table. It's been months and he's still sleeping before class.

"Hey. I think you can see better in front." I said to the girl next to the resting figure. Joy's eyes widened and looked at the vacant seat in front before looking at me.

"You won't refuse right?" My eyes  stayed on her. She then nodded and took her belongings one by one shoving them inside her bag. In a rush she went pass me, I then turned to the now vacant seat next to this sleeping guy beside me, now I can have some peace.

"Seje." Minnie walked to me with Selen.

"We missed you, your phone was off and we couldn't visit you at your house." Selen started. I bit my lip and stretched my lips up.

"Sorry about that, I just wanted some time to think." I honestly told them. Minnie knelt down to my side, her face resting on my arm as she hugged it.

"Don't do that again. We're here for you, always." She said in a small voice.

"You don't have to tell us if you're not comfortable with it." Selen immediately said. "We don't wanna come off as the likes of him." She pointed to Eunwoo who's turned his body around to listen to our talk. I hissed at him.

"Ah so noisy." We all turned to the guy who's head is almost rooted to the table, he grunted and slowly lift his head. His messy hair somehow didn't look so out of place with his aesthetic, his sleepy eyes sharply found and turned to me. He raised his eyebrow.

"Why are you here?"

"I sit here now." I properly sat up, Minnie let go of my hand and stood up straight, fixing her uniform and dusting off her skirt.

His eyes didn't left mine and continued to stare at me. Are we having a staring contest?

"Who said you can sit here?" He asked. He rested his sleepy head on his palm, his elbows rooted to the desk. Still fixing his eyes on me.

"It's not your seat, it was Joy's but we switched. You don't have a say in this and you know that." I countered. He tsked and surrendered.

"Just don't make so many noise." He puffed his cheeks, checked his watch and went back to sleeping again.

One thing I knew about him for these past months is he's lazy, he wouldn't bother to ask for a fight and just admits his lose, he doesn't butt on someone's business because he just naturally doesn't care.

He's the perfect seatmate.

"Okay Sungjae."