Prologue

"Alessandra! Alessandra!' Emilie squealed.

  Alessandra turned her head, looking up from her story book to see Emilie and her yellow blonde locks bouncing about in the living room.

"What is it?" she asked.

    Alessandra could see through the hallway into Emilie's living room. Alessandra spent lots of time at her best friend's house. She was two castes above her but that never mattered much. With Emilie being a four she lived comfortably in simple pretty house with warm colored walls and clean furniture.

"Your boyfriend is on tv!" she taunted.

   Alessandra gasped, getting to her feet as fast as she could. At that moment Leslie came down the stairs holding her dolls and joined everyone in the living room.

"What's going on?" Leslie yawned. She'd just woken up from her nap.

    In the same superior fashion Emilie always talked in she put her hands on her hips and said. "Alessandra's boyfriend is on The Report tonight."

Alessandra sat cross legged in front of the tv and shot Emilie a glare. "You be quiet, you piggy curl head"

Emilie's jaw dropped and she immediately grabbed onto her tight pigglet curls.

  Alessandra ignored her and stared adoringly at the Emsons' tv screen. Alessandra had an undying crush on his royal highness Prince William Shreave. Oh yes, she'd stare at the screen for hours at the time. Alessandra reached up and touched the screen where the prince's jet black hair was.

"Oh my goodness" Leslie sighed. "WIll you knock it off? He's a prince"

Alessandra looked at her.

"You're just a silly six"

  Alessandra felt a little needle to her heart. Leslie was right. All Alessandra would ever be was the lowest caste. A silly little six with the dream of making the handsome prince hers. So Alessandra, at only seven years old, took that dream folded it up and tucked it away deep inside her heart. Never to resurface again.