Chapter Thirty Seven

I couldn't wipe the stupid smile off my face even after Esmeralda said to knock it off so she could put lipstick on me. I sat at my vanity putting my charm bracelet back on after a luxurious bath and Alma tucked dusty pink roses into my hair. Junebug was cleaning up in the bathroom and Esmeralda was tidying up the bed.

   There was a knock on the door and we all turned our heads, Esmeralda flattening out her dress walked over to open it. I wasn't expecting Will for at least another half hour. Esmeralda opened the door and I lit up, at the sight of a familiar head of salt and pepper hair. I smiled.

"Angelo!"

    Laughing Esmeralda hugged him tightly and they walked in arm in arm. Tiny came out of the bathroom smiling, and Alma squealed with delight.

"I didn't know you'd be here!" I beamed.

Angelo chuckled deeply then looked my way. He staggered back dramatically, his eyes widening in awe, and we walked over smiling squeezing my cheeks.

"Sei bellissima , mia cara!" he said.

I smiled. "I'm going to assume that is a compliment of course"

He laughed.

"It's so nice to see you, Angelo" and I meant it. "I didn't know you'd be here"

"I just came to check up on my favorite girl before her first royal ball"

I laughed. "I'm kind of nervous'"

Angelo smiled and patted my cheek gently. "Don't be! You look exsquisite!"

    I smiled and Angelo winked.

"Don't forget sweetheart," he said quietly. "I'm still betting on you."

   Then he left. For around twenty minutes after he left the girls were working quickly to try and finish me before Will came. By the time I was done the hair on my head felt as though it weighed more than me and my curves were squeezed tight into a ball gown that cut the circulation off in my body. Esmeralda insisted on my doing an up do and when the girls were done with my hair Esmeralda fell back onto my bed with a heavy sigh.

"God, that hair"

I giggled.

Alma rolled her shoulders wincing. "I better have toned arms tomorrow morning"

Junebug collapsed into her favorite chair and nodded in agreement. "I think I burned off a few pounds lifting it"

   The girls laughed and I gave them a funny look through the mirror of my vanity. Standing up I took one last good look at myself.

   While I refuse to ever wear make up I gave in this one time. Bronzer made my cheeks glow and lipstick turned my lips red. Under long luxurious lashes were eyes that burned green. There was fabric wrapped tightly around my waist in a kind of belt. The dress was made of rosettes, from the bust all the way to the large skirt and long train. My hair was pinned up, curls coming down the fram my face. The dress felt like waves of roses and silk beneath my finger tips.

  There was a knock on the door and I finished slidding on my gloves.

'I'm com-!"

  I turned around and the girls ran out giggling and Will shut the door.

"Oh" I pulled on my glove. "Forget it then. Hey Princy."

   Will chuckled, staring at the door as he walked in. "Your maids def-"

  Will turned to looked at me and his mouth snapped shut immediately. I didn't know how to take his reaction so immediately I flattened out the dress, suddenly extremely self conscious, and swallowed.

"Too much?" I asked. "I'm sorry. Esmeralda said it was a ball and Alma wanted something big and Junebug-"

Will shook his head. "First thing tomorrow morning I'm having those girls sew together sacks for you to wear" he stepped toward me. "Because I think that if you keep looking so lovely I won't be able to fight the urge to kiss you"

I felt the corners of my mouth rise and he took my hand.

"I come with a gift" he said and slid a corsage onto my hand. "It's tradition"

I smiled and felt the weight of it on my wrist. "Is it really?"

Will nodded. "My grandfather used to always put one on my mother's wrist, he still does, for the ball. And when my mother chose my father to be her guest during her selection he gave her one and still does."

"You're continuing the family tradition?" I asked.

Will chuckled. "Something like that, my darling."