Chapter Thirty Eight

The ballroom was immaculate. The national colors of Illea and Italy were used in accent pieces and elaborate floral designs. The room smelled of foreign dishes. I was so giddy with excitement I had to contain myself. I was pretty sure Will was aware of my excitement because I was squeezing his hand so tightly. I lit up at the sight of piano man, looking at peace stroking keys.

"You look excited"

I beamed at Will. "Its beautiful here"

"Sweetheart!"

   Will and I both turned around to see the King and Queen gliding arm and arm towards us. I curtsied and Will bowed his head at his parents. The King and Queen both looked stunning with their crowns and flawless evening attired.

"You both look amazing" the Queen said.

I felt my heart lift. "Thank you, your majesty"

"Will you made a fine choice in your date for this evening" The King added.

"Actually it was grandmother who invited her" Will explained. "She has the best taste doesn't she"

The King chuckled. "I do love that woman"

                                                             ***

  Will had to excuse himself for a moment as he greeted the members of the Italian royal family. Mostly the younger cousins as the King and Queen were speaking with his parents. The princesses seemed to enjoy his company. Will looked over to me for a split second then turned his head again and when he realized it was me. He winked and continued with his conversation.

    I smiled and leaned my head against the wall feeling the flutter in my stomach. It wouldn't hurt so much if I had a little fun. Would it?

"You look lovely"

I jumped, spinning around and America was smiling, warmly.

I smiled at the sight of her. "America. I was hoping I'd see you"

"And I you" she replied with a nod. "Now why isn't my grandson sweeping you off your feet"

I chuckled. "He's busy. Its alright. I like the music."

America crinkled her nose in a rather unroyal like fashion which made me think.

She must have been a feisty thing when she was younger.

"No. You should be dancing"

"I'm awful at dancing."

"Come," America laced her arm through mine pulling me along. "Let me tell you something about the Shreave men."

I giggled.

"They are stupid." She said matter-of-factly. "And you have to initiate everything because if not it'll take them forever. And don't even get me started on getting them to tell you they love you!"

I laughed and rested my head on her shoulder a moment. "Oh you don't mean that"

She nodded frantically and I lifted my head. "I do too."

"I really don't think I should bother him" I pointed out. "He's the prince. He was people to attend to"

America regarded me thoughtfully. "And you're one of them." she took in a deep breath contemplating something. 'Sweetheart, there's what? How many of you left? 15? We're getting closer to the elite and if....things turn out the way I predict...."

I looked at America waiting for her to continue as she tucked a graying strand of red hair behind her ear. "You'll be here for quite sometime. I suggest you get a move on."