Chapter Five

Yesterday I called Thomas using Leslie's house phone but he didn't answer. He must have been busy. Instead I left a message explaining how I felt and when I got home today there wasn't a daisy waiting for me in the kitchen the way there always was. Daddy noticed and when he'd asked me I force up, unsure of what to say. So I thought of a quick lie to cover ti up saying I spoke to Thomas the day before and said he forgot to send some for the week. 

    I came home later than intended from a job today and had to pick up daddy's medicine on the way home. I brought him a glass of water and handed him his pills making sure he swallowed every last one of them. He hated taking them.

    Ever since daddy fell off that latter his leg always hurts and so does his back. Sometimes he feels tired and achey and it breaks my heart to see him that way.

   I was pretty proud of myself because today I made a little extra then intended but my heart sank as I opened the cabinets and realized that they were bare. As a way to stall I finished cleaning some dishes that were in the sink since yesterday. I usually didn't like stressing daddy out with problems. He handled as many bills as he could and I took care of everything else.

   Finally I remembered I had some extra money. I wanted to us it to buy a pair of shoes but that was out of the question. Emilie gave me her boots and lucky for me we were the same size. Trying to lighten the mood I skipped into the living room while drying a plate and peaked my head in.

I smiled. "So daddy what do you want for dinner? We could order in a pizza? My treat"

He laughed. 'Pizza?"

I shrugged. "I have a little extra money from today."

"From where?"

"The Richards"

Daddy nodded and turned his attention back to The Report. "Whatever you want, sweetheart"

I nodded and noticed something looked different on the tv screen. I frowned. "What's on?" I asked.

Daddy smiled. "They're choosing the selected today."

     Flash back to a week and a half ago. I was sitting on the sapphire blue silk sheets of Leslie's bed. We were in her bedroom sitting with our legs crossed and Emilie had just filled out a selection form.

"This is stupid" she said. "Not like they'll pick me anyway. Besides! I already have my eyes on someone!"

I laughed.

"You're being ridiculous" Leslie said. She adjusted her glasses. "This is the chance of a lifetime"

   Leslie was always the more logical one of us three. She was all about facts, and statistics, and common sense. She really wasn't one to think of anything besides what is the smart choice and what will be most beneficial in the long run.

   Emilie was more the kind of girl that came and went with the wind. She did what she pleased when she pleased no matter what.

  Where as I? I was still trying to figure out who exactly I wanted to be.

"When will you get this chance again?" Leslie continued. "You could get chosen and have the chance to compete for the heart of the future king of Illea. If you win you become queen and even if you don't win you'll have been one of the selected girls. You'll be a prized jewel. Along with that comes opportunity, money, fame."

I shook my head. "This is stupid"

Emilie took the form I was holding. She made a face of distaste. "How boring are you?" she complained. "Is that all you like to do? Take walks and spend time with loved ones? Make this a little more interesting!"

I snatched it back from her. "I'm sorry I'm not as scandalous and interesting as you are, Emilie!"

She lifted her chin. "You're right you're not"

I read over my form again. "I'm so God awful boring they'll never pick me"

"Why don't you put down that you sing?" Leslie suggested.

"Because I don't sing"

She made a face. "You sang beautifully that year for our christmas party!"

"I'm a six" I said. "Sixes aren't singers. That's a fives job. Besides. I like writing."

Leslie tacked on a picture of me to the form, took Emilies, and sealed it up in a big parchment envelope without another world. "We'll see then"

   For a moment I wondered what it would be like if Emilie were picked. If she was one of the selected girls. It would be so exciting. My best friend in the whole world, winning the heart of the Prince of Illea.

"Tell me when its over" I said.

"Its almost done" Daddy said. "The only need to call two more girls"

I nodded, kind of sad that one of those girls wasn't Em. After they called who I thought was the last girl I turned around to head back to the kitchen.

"Well I'm going to put this plate back" I said.

"Alessandra"

"I said I'm going to put this plate down"

"Alessandra" daddy said again and suddenly I was alarmed.

   I ran back into the living room and saw the shocked look on his face. With the plate in the dish rag still in my hand I turned to face the tv.

"Wh-?"

     My heart stopped. The plate slipped from my hands and shattered like ice on the tile floor.

   I felt like someone was going to knock me over.

   Daddy flew out of his chair. I couldn't even hear what was happening. He was smiling and laughing kissing my forehead. All of a sudden the house phone started ringing like it was thr end of the world. But I just stood there, paralyzed.

Lucky number 35, the last girl called.

Lady Alessandra Carswell.

My picture took over the screen.

was Alessandra Carswell. A six from Carolina. That was my face on the tv. I couldn't believe it. I was in disbelief.

I was the next competitor for the crown the crown of Illea.

-

-

-

Follow the official IG @theilleanfanfics !