Chapter Thirty

Will smiled a bit oddly. "I would not like to be the person you're angry with right now."

I laughed and I smothered my laugh with the back of my hand to my lips. Will smiled in an oddly victorious fashion.

"Alas! She cracks! This is a great accomplishment" my giggled simmered down and he leaned against the door frame. "I've made you laugh!"

"Don't expect an award to come along with it, Princy"

He smiled at me. "Your laughter is prize enough, my darling"

   I looked at him and thought over everything I heard the girls say about him. Alma said Junebug loved him, Junebug said he was a good man, Esmeralda basically glorified him, Alma agreed, Junebug nodded. So I suppose in the way that he smiled it wasn't so hard to believe all those things they said about him. I mimicked his stance, leaning on the other side of the door frame, crossing my arms, and thought about my endless childhood crush on him. I really had excellent taste.

"What brings you to my humble dwelling?" I asked.

"I was hoping you were still dressed," he said and pulled a rose out from behind him. "I've come to whisk you away. I suggest you put some shoes on"

   I don't want to be whisked away.

My head said.

  Shut up and go get a pair of shoes.

My heart said.

   I think you all have a pretty good idea as to what happened. I slipped on the closet pair of flats and thought that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to get whisked away. Besides, I won't be here much longer anyway.

                                                                         ***

"Where are we going?" I was reaching out into the darkness with the rose in my hand unable to decipher directions.

"That's it. When is your next birthday?" WIll declared. "I shall buy you a dictionary."

My eyebrows furrowed. "What do I need a dictionary for?" 

"So that you can look up the definition of the word 'surprise' because its obvious you're oblivious to its implication"

  I made a face I'm pretty sure he didn't see and continued walking. Will had his hands over my eyes and while I was confident he wasn't leading me to certain death I wasn't very certain he was stearing me away from objects that would result in my tripping, falling, or bumping into. Will refused to tell me where we were going until we got there and the curiosity was driving me insane.

 "How do I know you're not planing on killing him"

He laughed. "You think I'm leading to certain death"

"You never know"

Will chuckled. "Well then," he said quietly. "If you insist"

   He removed his hands from my eyes and I was taken back by the sight of the library at night. It looked like this magical, mysterious, yet ominous look to it. The only light came from the moon through the numerous windows scattered across the library walls.

"Why are we here?" I asked.

  Will walked over to one of the book shelves and ran his fingers across several bindings. "I need to find something here first"

"Like what?" I walked over to one of the books shelves.

"It would not a surprise now would it?"