Chapter Twenty Four

After putting away my father's letter that evening Esmeralda, Alma, and Junebug didn't waste anytime. Junebug finished up the last few stitches on my dress, Alma was rummaging through the jewelry box, and Esmeralda struggled to keep my hair up.

Esmeralda sighed heavily dropping a chunk of my hair. 'You know!"

I laughed.

"I better have toned arms by the time I'm done with this hair"

I smiled and handed her another rose. "Oh hush"

   Esmeralda was curling my hair, and twisting it, and pinning it with roses, doing so many strange abstract things to my hair in an attempt to keep it from looking so long. There was a crown of flowers woven through my hair similar to the way Alma and Esmeralda liked wearing their hair. By the time Esmeralda was done my hair ended at around my waist and was woven into the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen in the entire world. 

   Red roses were woven through my hair and its sweetness filled my nose. I loved roses. Esmeralda insisted I let her put make up on me. So I allowed her lip stick and mascara but other then that I refused. Junebug painted my nails and my toes.  Alma showed me a necklace but I shook my head insisting i only wear my locket and the bracelet Angelo gave me.

    Esmeralda put dangling earrings in my ears and downed me in this rosy smelling perfume. She gave me oil to rub into my skin so I did and Junebug brought my dress out. She smiled so proudly and I smiled back at her.

                                                       ***********

"Suck it in, girl!"

  I breathed in as much as I could and Esmeralda continued to work the zipper up the side of my dress.

"Can't....breahte" I winced.

Alma sent me a look of sympathy. "Sorry hun. Its the price we pay to be beautiful"

"But its an open back dress!" i said out of breath. "It shouldn't be this hard to zipper!"

Esmeralda eyed me. "No one said to have a big ass!"

"Esmeralda!" Junebug gasped.

I stuck my tongue out at her.

Esmeralda's hands were turning red from pulling on the tiny zipper. Finally it closed around my hips then went up and closed around my waist and we all sighed with relief, Esmeralda and her shoulders slumping, Alma let go of the fabric around my hips, and Junebug stopped pulling on the dress from its hem.

Esmeralda took in a deep breath and took the zipper again. "Ok we're almost done," she made a face at me. "I don't suppose you can shrink those cantalopes on your chest can you?"

"Ugh" irritated I pulled on the zipper myself and it closed with ease. "You're so dramatic."

She giggled and walked over to my fanity.

    It was a stunning lavendar dress with an open back that drooped, juliette sleeves, and a flowing skirt dripping in lace. I slid on my heels and Esmeralda pinned one last rose in my hair. I took in a deep breath, evaluating myself in front of the mirror.

     I felt so pretty. For a long time it was hard to imagine I could be anything but plain, but now I felt beautiful. I felt like a princess and my three girls were my three faries here to make my wishes come true. Only, I did not know what I wished. I was nervous, terrified, to meet the royal family. They have been ghosts these past weeks, spoken of but never seen.

Alma stood behind me with her hands folded, smiling. "You look beautiful"

I turned to face her. 'Its not too much is it? I don't look like I'm trying?"

She made a funny face at me but smiled and touched my cheek. "Don't be silly. He'd be a fool not to look your way" she smirked. "And its not just because I spent hours making that dress"

   Junebug laughed.

There was a knock on the door and Esmeralda and her bouncing jet black curls ran to answer the door.

"Hello!!!!" I smiled and Ora walked in. "Well hot damn"

 She looked me up and down.

"Looking fine Maia"

I laughed and walked over to embrace her. "You look amazing!"

Ora winked and her glittery eyeshadow sparkled. "Of course I do"

   Ora was wearing a tea lengthed wine red dress that went in criss crosses across her chest and the skirt fell in fabric waves at her hips. Her hair was down in waves to one side and everything about her screamed she was a stunner.

"Come" she extended her arm. "Let's go knock out some royals"