Chapter Twenty Six

All through dinner I found myself oddly annoyed. Kara and Maddy were sitting on either side of Will and every time he laughed I swore my utensils nearly cut right through my plate. After what Krystal told me about them, I didn't trust them. I couldn't even enjoy the fact that Constance was annoyed because I myself was too bothered to care.

    After dinner was done there was lots of laughing, wine drinking, and dancing. I watched Will sweep several girls off their feet inclduing Cecilia and Ora. Don't get me wrong, I was estatic for them but at the same exact time some of my feelings were being oddly mixed together and I had no idea how I felt. Strange.

   Vanessa and I were near the desert table talking when I noticed the King and Queen whispering upon their thrones. The princess had in fact, not shown up that evening, and I assumed that was what they were talking about. All in all the night was a drag and seemed to last forever.

I felt as though I got all pretty for nothing.

"Excuse me" 

 Vanessa stopped midsentence, talking about God knows what because I kind of stopped paying attention, and Will was right behind her. I never seen a girl smile so wide before.

"I'm curious as to why you two are just standing here"

"Vanessa likes the desert," i said "And I enjoy the music"

Vanessa laughed. "Oh please, Alessandra!" she looked at me funny. "I haven't eaten a thing all night"

"I'm so sorry to interrupt"

"You're excused" I said at precisely the same exact time Vanessa said "You're not interrupting!"

  Vanessa nearly snapped her neck she looked at me so quickly and I smiled raising an eyebrow at her. I was just teasing! These girls take Will far too seriously.

"I just wanted to know if it was alright with you Alessandra, if I stole Vanessa for a dance"

I put my glass down on the table and smiled. 'Whisk her away your majesty"

   I walked past them, glidding towards the piano. I just wanted to watch, if it were for only a moment. There was a man sitting there in a suit delicately, but deliberately touching each of the keys. A long, long time ago there was a little girl from caste six who had an undying passion for music.  

    Skip the sob story her father's condition got worse and she kind of had to put it on hold for a while. Then life took over and she just...never got around to her love for music again.

    I still loved music. I still loved writing songs but I just thought that as soon as I was in the palace with all the new free time my love for music would blossom again and I'd write songs freely. But for some odd reason every time I flung open and a book nothing came. There was the same block in my mind that was there back home.

   I remember the time I sang at the Emson's Christmas party a while back. It was amazing but after that a five came up to me and said that singing was a fives job and that a little six wouldn't get anywhere trying to sing. Leslie punched her in the face of course but after that I lost the desire to pursue in anything musical.

   Besides when i get sent home I want to pursue a medical career. I want to be a doctor. I want to save lives and find cures to diseases and bring babies into the world. I knew a lot about things like that, the Emson's have an extensive collection of medical books for God knows what reason. Sometimes when I was alone in their house working I would sit and read their books for hours.

  Cecilia must have caught me staring at the piano because before i knew it she was by my side.

"Do you play?" she asked.