Chapter Twenty Eight

I walked back into the ballroom and noticed a lump sum of girls sitting at a table and speaking to the Queen and King. I rubbed my locket and figured I just hide somewhere. The girls were up front near the stage, dancing and laughing. I truly didn't want to be bothered with people. Maybe if I just snuck out and went to my room...

I bumped into what felt like a brick wall.

Will grabbed my elbows. "Alessa"

Crap.

"Oh um." i wiped my hands on my dress. "yeah. Hi"

Will smiled. "You were amazing up there. Why did you run off like that"

I tucked a strand of hair behind me ear. "Well umm... I don't I don't uhhh" he looked at me with a sweet smile, expecting an answer. "I don't sing, so."

Will laughed as if I said an actual joke. "I highly doubt that."

I smiled a little.

"Come. There's someone I'd like you to meet"

"Oh no I-"

He laughed and held my wrist, guiding me through the crowd. "Come on."

"I don't know I'm not dressed to meet anyone Will I-!"

"Nonsense" he said. "You look stunning"

   At that I figured it was no use to argue to shut my big mouth and followed him through the crowd. I loved the endless clicking sound my heels made against the marble floors and the flow of my dress behind me. I was surprised all the roses in my hair were still in place. Will brought me to the other end of the ballroom where the class doors opened out into the balcony.

   There stood a man and a woman speaking in hushed tones. Will looked at me and smiled.

"Grandfather, grandmother" he said. "This is the girl I was talking about"

  The man and the woman both turned around and at first I was startled to see how youthful they were. They still obtained some of their youthful beauty but I could tell that life as royals definietly but a strain on them physically.

   The woman was lovely, beautiful in fact. She was an elegant older woman with eyes like ice to balance out the flames of her hair and a silver streak of silver went straight down the middle. And next to her was a man so devestatngly handsome for 60 it should be illegal. He had honey blonde hair with a few gray strands and eyes like chocolate.

"Grandmother, Grandfather this is Alessa" Will said. "She's one of the-"

"Selected" his grandmother smiled. "I'm well aware Will. I'm not ancient you know"

Will smiled at her. "I just figured I'd give you a formal introduction"

She walked over and made a face at him, patting his cheek. "Nice try Will" she looked at me and smiled, extending her hand. "I'm America"

I smiled and shook her hand. "Like the country?"

America laughed.

"I remember learning about it once"

"She's smart" America winked at Will.

"I'm Alessandra" i say.

She frowned at me, a crese forming in between her eyebrows. "I thought it was Alessa?"

I shook my head. 'No that's just something he insists on calling me. My darling Alessa! God if I had a penny for every time I told him not to call me that I'd be worth more than this palace"

America laughed and it was something lovely. "That sounds familiar. This is my husband."

He smiled and kissed my hand. "Pleasure to meet you sweetheart. I'm Maxon"

"Likewise" I smiled. "Its wonderful to meet you both"

"You sang beautifully tonight, Alessandra" Maxon said. "Beautiful"

I was speechless. "Oh. Thank you, your highness"

Maxon chuckled and waved a hand. "Please. Maxon"

I smiled. "Maxon"

"I think that Alessa would make a lovely addition to the Illean Italian Alliance party coming up soon" Will said.

   America and Will shared a moment where they both looked at each other as though they were reading each other's mind. It was then when I noticed just how much Will looked like his grandparents. In fact it was kind of bizarre that he looked like his grandfather's splitting image. Exactly like him except the color of his eyes and hair. Yet he looked much like America but I suppose that is so because Will doesn't look much like his father. More like his mother.

America smirked at Will. "I think she would." America looked at me. "In fact I'd be honored if you would attend as one of my guests"

I blinked, my brain unable to process it at first. "Umm I don't...me?"

She smiled. "I'd be honored," Maxon held out his arm and she took hold of him. "Mayeb you can even sing for us. I haven't seen a Carolina girl in a long time" she winked at me.

"I would hope you'd be able to come?" Maxon added.

I nodded frantically. "Oh no! Yes of course I'll come! I just...are you sure you want me?"

They both just smiled at me.

"Goodnight Alessandra" America said. 

"Goodnight" I replied.

"Goodnight Will" Maxon said.

Will bowed his head. "Goodnight"

   They left without another word and when a few moments passed I looked at Will.

"Am I missing something"

Will shook his head. "No"

"But I-"

"You did wonderful this evening. We couldn't keep our eyes off you." Will leaned in, slowly and ever so softly placed a warm kiss on my cheek.

I felt butterflies in my stomach.

"Goodnight, my darling"

   Will turned around and I couldn't mumble anything intelligent.

"Wait!" i said and he turned around. "You're just going to leave?'

Will winked at me. "Goodnight"

  And then he left! He just left! Just like that!

I looked up at the stars.

I couldn't believe he just left!!!!