Chapter One

Ten Years Later...

"Alessandra! Alessandra!"

  I laughed and snapped another picture.

"Allie you get back here, right this instant!"

   I rode Derek's bike around the block one last time and when I came back Emilie was waiting for me on her front lawn. I smiled at her.

"What?" I asked. "I was having a good time"

She smirked at me. "If you're going to take pictures of me, give me a moment to pose"

   Emilie posed dramatically and I snapped the picture. We both laughed and Emilie grabbed hold of my wrist, pulling me into the backyard.

    I'd never seen a day so beautiful before. It was the Emson's traditional kick off to the summer barbeque and of course with my being an Emson myself (technically, I have been there long enough) I was enjoying it. Emilie let me wear her simple violet dress and she wore the blue one so that we could match.

    I've known the Emson's my whole life. Originally, my father met John (Mr. Emson) when he came to the house to do some work for him. John liked my dad's work and he kept hiring him again. Years later I was born and daddy brought me along to work with him. Emilie was only three months older than me and so we became best friends. Her younger sister Leslie was born two years later and we all grew up with each other.

    The sun was setting and there was a calm peaceful wind passing. Carolina was beautiful this time of year. It was warm, with crystal blue skies, lovely trees, blooming flowers, and grass so green they could pass for my eye color. 

   Emilie's parents were succesful buisness owners and had it made pretty well. The back yard was decorated in beautiful summer flowers, white tables, ballons and the smell of food on the grill filled my nose.

   Emilie was beaming and she waved. "Larry!" she squealed.

A boy with dark blonde hair looked over, smiled, and waved.

"Who's that?" I whispered, smiling.

Emilie gave a flirtatious flutter of her blonde lashes. "Just a boy"

I smiled and nudged her shoulder. "What kind of boy"

Emilie pretended to be interested in her nails, which were painted a baby blue. "A lovely three who's family loves my father's chain of resturants"

I silently squealed and squeezed her arm. "He seems like a catch!"

   Emilie beamed again and nodded so frantically her curls fell into her face. I laughed and tucked one behind her ear. Emilie pulled me over and sat me at one of the white tables next to her.

"Oh Allie!" she sighed, dreamily. "He's so wonderful. He says I'm beautiful and he's smart and kind."

   Emilie forever the actress touched her forehead.

"I think the Ice Queen has melted. I think I'm in love"

I smiled and hugged her. "I'm very happy for you"

Emilie squeezed me tightly. "I hope he feels the same"

I pulled away to smile at her. "He'd be crazy if he didn't"

She nudged my shoulder. "How's your boy"

I rolled my eyes and looked away.

"Hey!"