Chapter Fifteen

I laughed as Esmeralda wove my hair into a braid. I sat in front of my vanity that morning determined to make this the best day I could. It was a beautiful day outside and the sun was shining. Today we're supposed to meet the Prince. I couldn't help the unsettling feeling in my stomach.

   Junebug was smiling quietly, sitting in the corner chair sewing something together. Alma was sitting on the edge of my bed talking while she went through a box of hair pieces. Esmeralda was behind me trying to weave my long hair into the best braid she could.

"How do you keep up with this mane?" Esmeralda said.

I shrugged. "I don't think I've ever cut my hair before"

She rolled her eyes and spoke in that same deep, sultry, and seductive glamorous voice she always did. "Honey cut it please. My fingers are cramping"

JUnebug giggled. "Esmeralda thinks she's too good to be a maid."

"You shut it Junebug!" Esmeralda cautioned.

Alma laughed all the same. "Oh Esmeralda."

"Hmph" Esmeralda released my hair and stomped away. "I'm taking a break"

I laughed and Alma shook her head. "That girl"

I started undoing my braid. "I like her. She's bold"

"She's bolder than an eagle" Alma winked. "Want me to finish that braid for you?"

I shook my head. "It's alright. I like leaving my hair loose anyway."

"Do you want a pin?" Junebug asked. 

I thought for a moment. "Hmmm"

    I looked around my when I caught sight of the vase in the corner of the room. I pointed to it and Alma turned her head.

"Grab me a rose"

She looked a bit skeptical but she obeyed, plucking a rose from the bunch and handed it to me. I broke most of them off then grabbed a pin and stuck it in my hair. I stood up and looked at the,.

"Hm?"

Junebug grinned. "Yes."

                                                                        ***********

   I kept rubbing my locket, so nervous I felt like I was going to puke up my breakfast. Ora, Cecilia, Tiny, Krystal, and I all sat together at a table near the window in the Women's Room this morning. Today we were supposed to be meeting the Prince in the gardens for the first time, formally, and I was a complete mess.

  THe girls were playing a card game and I couldn't keep my hands from shaking.

Ora raised an eyebrow over her cards. "Nervous much?"

I chewed on my cheek and put my cards down. "Four threes"

  Everyone eyed me then Krystal went.

I bit my nail. "I'm not nervous"

Cecilia gently took my wrist and pulled my hand from my mouth. "You'll ruin your manicure" she smiled and I was grateful.

Tiny put down her cards and it was Cecilias turn. As Cecilia put down her cards and it was Ora's turn again she said, "I wonder what we'll think of him"

Krystal looked up. "What do you mean?"

Cecilia shrugged and I put down my cards. "I don't know"

Ora was wiggling her eyeborws at me over her deck. "Hmm"

I smiled.

"I just wonder if he'll be nice and all"