Part 16

NICO

Leo goes off to spend the night in the Hephaestus cabin with his siblings, leaving Will to walk me back to my cabin before continuing his infirmary shift.
'Why are you in a bad mood?' I ask.
'I'm not in a bad mood.' He says.
'Well you're not in a good mood. And you're always in a good mood. Unless you're in a bad mood.' I say. I stop him, 'what's up? Did I do something?'
'No! No.' He says. He looks away, clearly not wanting to talk about it, 'I just am not a fan of Leo.'
I stare at him for a moment, and I can't help but smile.
'Oh stop it.' He says, pushing me away a little.
'I knew it. I knew it. He's the worst. I knew you didn't like him.' I say. I laugh a little, 'you don't have to like him.'
'He's your friend though.' Will counters.
'Yeah, he's my friend, but it's a weird relationship with everyone from back then. We went through a lot together.' I say, trying to explain it in a way he'd understand, 'it's like...he's annoying. And he gets on my nerves every single time we talk, without fail, but I'd still die for him and I know he'd do the same.'
'You really trust him that much?' He asks, taking hold of my hand and walking with me to the door of my cabin.
'I had to.' I say, 'they all trusted me, and I had to trust them too. And it worked out...' I sigh, 'Look, I did the whole solo-world-is-my-enemy thing. It didn't go well.'
'I remember.' He says.
'I didn't like him for the longest time, and I still don't fully. And you don't have to. I actually love that you don't like him.' I say, 'but he gets better. Just give him a chance. But don't tell him I said any of this.'
'Of course. God forbid anyone know you care.' He says, laughing.
'I care about you.' I say, kissing him quickly, 'and that is enough vulnerability for me.'
'I care about you too.' He says.
'Now go save stupid people.' I say, 'before I guilt you into staying.'
'Love you.' He says, heading off.
'Love you too. I'll see you tomorrow.' I say.