Part 49

NICO

I instinctively hold out an arm to keep Will from Hades. I keep myself in front of him. Protect him at all costs.
'Put your arm down, Nico.' He says, 'I'm not here to fight.'
'Why do you have your sword?' I ask. I carefully tighten my grip on my own sword and prepare myself for anything. I don't trust him.
'Habit.' He says, and drops his sword. It clatters to the floor, 'I'm here to talk.'
'I don't want to talk.' I insist.
'And I don't want to force you to listen. But I will.' He says. His eyes move to Will for a moment. I step between them both.
'Will, go back to the infirmary.' I say.
'Not happening.' He says.
'I swear on the river Styx, I'm not here to hurt either of you.' He says.
'And what the hell does that mean to you? You already broke your word.'
'And I'm sure I'll face the consequences.' He says carefully, 'please. Just listen.'
I hold Will behind me, but I don't speak. I listen.
'I truly believed you wouldn't be happy here. I never was. I never could be. I saw what happened to your mother and sister. I wanted you to have...a choice in the matter.'
'They died because of you.' I insist.
'Perhaps. Perhaps you're right.' He says, 'you made some compelling points, when you came to rescue your...' He looks to Will.
'Boyfriend.' I say.
'Boyfriend.' He confirms, 'I don't understand quite how you could love a son of that...Apollo. Never had much class.'
'Careful.' Will says. I turn to him, surprised. He doesn't seem scared. He doesn't look away from my dad.
'Apologies.' He says, 'but. My intentions were always good, even if my actions were...'
'Psychotic.' Will provides. Hades looks to him, as surprised as I am at his confidence.
'You've got the unearned confidence of your father.' He says.
'Thank you.' Will replies. For a moment I can't help but smile at Will's certainty. He's so confident.
'As I was saying.' Hades continues, 'I...I wasn't expecting the devotion you have for each other. I wasn't expecting you to be...to be happy.'
'Why are you here?' I ask. I lower my sword slightly. I start to believe that maybe he isn't here to fight. I wait.
'To apologise.' He says, 'I was selfish and assuming. I wanted you beside me. I was certain any life up here would be...unsatisfying. You're the first child of mine to be content. Truly content.'
'I still don't understand.' I say.
'I won't bother you. And I hope you can forgive me. In due time.' He says. And he stands up.
I stand between him and Will as Hades leaves my cabin, outside into camp. I see people stop in their tracks they stare at him.
'I suggest,' He says, looking at them all, 'you all avert your eyes.'
Everyone instantly covers their eyes. I turn around, making sure I've covered Will, as Hades goes into his true form and disappears.
He's left a circle of dead grass around him. Without thinking, I regrow it. Make it as though he was never there. Everyone stares at me for a moment before going on with their day.
'Well.' Will says, turning to me and fixing my hair - blown awol from Hades' exit - 'I can't say I was expecting that.'