Part 25

PERCY

I wait till Nico leaves the infirmary. I know how he gets sometimes, and I figured if he got angry, it's better he did so away from injured people.
'Nico.' I call out, falling in step beside him, 'how's he doing?'
'He's okay.' He says. He's in the mood where I'd typically leave him alone. His doesn't look at me. He speaks quietly. I know he doesn't want me talking to him, but I have to pursue.
'Good. That's good.' I say. 'Have you talked to Leo?'
'I don't want to talk to Leo.' He insists.
'You know he feels really bad.'
'He should.' He says.
'Nico-'
'Percy, I get it. I get that it probably wasn't him. I don't care. I don't give a shit.' He says, having stopped walking to talk now, 'but he tried to kill Will. He tried to kill him. What if it'd been Annabeth? Would you act any differently?'
'I'd be pissed, sure-'
'Oh you'd be pissed? That it? If someone tried to hurt Annabeth they'd be dead.' He says, continuing to walk to his cabin. I hurry after him.
'Sure. You're right. I know you're right. If the same thing happened to Annabeth I wouldn't be acting much different. I'd be angry too. But not at Leo.' I say, 'definitely not at Leo.'
'Are you kidding?' He stops and stares at me.
'It's Leo, Nico. Leo. He as good as sacrificed himself for all of us. He made a musical instrument and named it...the valdezinator...or whatever...' I say, 'he's annoying. He's bloody annoying, but Gods, Nico, do you think he'd really try to murder someone? Especially someone you care about so much?'
He keeps staring at me, and his lips are pursed. He looks like he wants to punch me, and he might, I can't tell.
'Shit.' He says, finally, annoyed, 'shit. Who the hell do I blame then? If Leo didn't do this, then who do I go after?'
'We'll figure that out. I promise.' I say, 'can I tell Leo to stop by sometime?'
'Fine. Fine, but I'm still pissed and I don't care if it's irrational. And Will didn't like him to begin with so he's not going to have a good time.' He says.
'I'm sure he won't care at all.'