Part 44

PERCY

Reyna, Annabeth and I watch Nico walk away, carrying Will. We turn to each other.
'We can't just...' I say.
'I know.' Reyna says.
'I don't think I could take him.' I say.
'Maybe we could together.' Annabeth thinks out loud, 'but even then. And we can't force him forever.'
'We could keep an eye on him this way.' I say, 'I mean like, he can't shadow travel without us. We could go with him.'
'How do we stop him making a deal though?' Reyna asks.
'Well I guess we have time to figure out.' I say. Without any more discussion, we all hurry to follow Nico. He barely pays us attention. It's as though he doesn't even know we're with him.
'Nico?' I ask, but he doesn't reply, 'Maybe one of us should stay back? To tell Hazel and the others.'
'You're right.' Reyna says.
'I'll go.' Annabeth says, 'you guys...you have more chance of breaking through to him.' She turns to me and kisses me quickly, 'be safe.'
'I will.' I say. She hurried off back to the camp. Reyna and I follow behind Nico.
'Do you know where you're going?' I ask, gently. He doesn't reply.
'It's going to get dark soon, Nico.' Reyna says. She looks to me, concerned for him. Nico plows onwards, undeterred by our concern.
'Nico, do you have a plan?' I ask. No answer, 'if this works. If you...if you trade places...Will won't be okay with that-'
'I'm not going to trade places.' Nico says, stopping and turning to me, 'I'm going to kill him.'
'What?'
'I'm going to kill my father. I'm going to kill him.' He says. He speaks quietly, and intently. For the briefest moment, I'm scared.
'Nico, he's a god.' Reyna says.
'I know.' Nico says. His voice catches as he stumbles over words, 'I know. I know I can't...and I know...I...I'm not stupid. I know the chances of... of...I know.' He glances to Reyna and then down to Will, 'But I'm going to kill him. Or die trying.'
'How will you even get there?' Reyna asks, 'you can't walk there, Nico.'
'He wants something from me. He wants me to come. And he knows I'm coming. So I'll walk until he lets me in.' He says. And as he speaks a low rumbling comes from the forest beside us. The ground caves in, and a long, dark tunnel reveals itself.
'Nico, you can't.' I insist, 'you just...I can't let you. I just can't lose you. I can't let you die.'
'That's not your choice.' He says.
'We can't stop you.' Reyna says, 'but we're coming with you.'
'I can't let you do that.' Nico says. I go to step forward, but I can't move my feet. Vines have woven their way around my feet and up my legs. They restrain me, I can't move.
'Nico.' I plea. I take out riptide but the vines hold down my arms. I turn to Reyna and see her struggling too.
'They'll stop when the entrance closes. Tell Hazel I love her.' He says.
'Please don't do this, Nico.' Reyna pleads, 'you can't do this to yourself.'
He looks to both of us. He smiles a little, but not for long. I can just make out his eyes flossing over a little.
'I need you to know that I don't want to do this.' He says, 'I don't. I'm happy and I want to live. But I can't. I have to do this.'
'You don't.' I insist, 'we can find another way.'
'I love you both. You...you saved me more times than I can count.' He says. He turns and starts walking into the tunnel.
'Nico!' I yell. I resist the vines. I try to take the water out from them, make them weaker, but by the time I've freed myself, the tunnels already started to close. I try my best to dig through, but it's gone. Nico's gone. And there is absolutely nothing I can do.