Part 35

NICO

Everyone's in the main hall. Reyna, Percy, Annabeth, Leo, Hazel, Will and me. We've spent an hour catching them up on everything that's been going on.
And now no one knows the next move.
'So just to clarify.' Reyna say, 'you fell into camp half blood and you remember nothing.'
'Right.' Leo says.
'And then you - or not you, someone - tries to kill Will.' She continues.
'Yep.'
'And then you go to...to a school dance, because you remember it, kind of, and some Empousai tell you that you're meant to come here, and then they try to kill you.'
'In a nutshell.' Leo says, nodding.
'Okay, I have nothing.' She says, 'maybe they were messing with you? Making it up?'
'What would they gain from that, though?' Annabeth asks.
'I mean, it's kind of annoying. I used up a load of petrol to get here.' Percy says.
'Somehow doesn't seem like they're usual evil schemes.' Annabeth says.
'Speak for yourself, I'm out forty quid.' He says.
'Well has Leo tried to kill anyone since?' Hazel asks.
'Not that I'm aware of.' He says, smiling, 'except those Empousai, but they really killed each other.'
'Maybe it was a one off?' She offers.
'When has anything like this ever been a one off?' I ask, 'I'm not taking risks. Leo isn't allowed off watch until we figure out what happened.'
'I'm not going to try kill your boyfriend.' Leo says. Before I can reply though, the door is thrown open. A young girl stands there, she's about nine or ten.
'Chloe, we're in the middle of a meeting.' Reyna says, 'what's wrong?'
'I heard Leo was here?' She says, shy.
'You know me?' Leo asks, standing up to look at the girl, 'I don't know you.'
'You don't know you're own girlfriend, sit down.' I say.
'Chloe, do you know something?' Reyna asks, curious.
'I...uh...I was picking flowers last week...and...' she looks at everyone, staring at her.
'Go on, Chloe.' Reyna says.
'And this car pulled up. And I figured they were lost or something. But then he got out.' She points to Leo, 'and asked if I was from here. I didn't reply, cause stranger danger, but then Apollo got out. I remembered him from before so he wasn't a stranger so I said yes.'
'What did I say?' Leo asks.
'You said...uh...' she pulls out a piece of paper, 'you said to read this out when you got here.' She looks up, as if expecting someone to stop her, but no one does. She starts reading from the letter, 'Behold, it's me. Leo, talking to you from this girl. Hi everyone, hi me. Bet you're wondering what's going on.'
'Oh my Gods.' I say to my self, already annoyed at the letter. But Will hushes me.
'Well it's a long story. But worry not. Everyone is safe. Calypso and Apollo are doing they're thing. It's time sensitive though so they couldn't hang about for you. Here's what happened - there was this witch, right, and I thought she was cool, and I was just being my usual self, and, okay, sure, I broke a couple things, but she got really angry at me. Like really pissed. I maybe broke something important? I'm not sure.' She takes a breath and continues,
'Anyway, she put this curse on me. And we're pretty sure there's a cure. But it means that I go back to camp half blood every month and don't remember anything. Well I remember some things. I think. I don't remember. I guess we'll find out. But the conclusion is don't worry, be happy. I might forget stuff but my girlfriend (who, note to self, is super amazing and I love her) and Apollo (who, second note to self, is less amazing but still love) are working on that.'
'And you might be wondering why I made this girl read you a letter instead of just telling Reyna or literally anyone else. The answer is, I thought it would be funny making you all listen to this girl speak for so long. Pranked you. Got you all. Self prank.'
'So, to me: sit tight and remember not to forget everything, okay? Cool. Peace out all. Miss you. Love you. Love Leo.' She stops talking and looks up at us, 'He drew a picture of himself on a horse, do you want to see?'
We all answer no, except Leo who jumps up and takes the drawing.
'This is amazing.' He says.
'Oh my Gods, thank you Chloe.' Reyna says, exasperated, 'Are you joking? Was that a joke?'
'That's the whole point.' Leo says.
'I might kill you.' Percy says, shaking his head, 'all of that. For something you could have sent a letter about? Why the Empousai? What the hell?'
'Yeah that seemed a bit extra.' Leo says, 'I'll be having strong words with myself about that later.'
'Hold on.' I say, 'that doesn't explain why he tried to kill Will. That's not an explanation.'
'Maybe it's the curse.' Leo says.
'Or maybe it has nothing to do with that and we've got something else entirely to worry about?' I offer. Will holds my arm to try calm me down but I shrug him off, 'I'm serious, I'm not just going to let this go.'
'We don't expect you to, Nico.' Reyna says, 'Leo will remain on watch. For now. Will won't come to any harm.'
I sit back, still unsatisfied, but not sure what else to hope for. Leo still stands, looking at the picture he drew.
'This is so trippy you guys.' He says, 'cause if I drew myself on a horse, this is exactly how I'd do it.'