Part 26

WILL

Nico has just gone to the toilet when Leo walks in. I don't know what to say.
'Hi. I can go?' He says, more restrained than usual. He clearly feels uncomfortable.
'It's okay.' I say.
'I mean I did, kind of try to kill you.' He says, sitting tentatively by my bed, 'sorry about that, by the way.'
'No biggy.' I say, smiling thinly. I still don't like him, but he seems to feel bad.
'Percy said Nico was...feeling less...mad?' He asks, hopeful.
'He's still pretty pissed, but he doesn't blame you. I don't blame you.' I say, 'I know you wouldn't have done that.'
'I feel so bad.' He says. He brushes his hair out of his eyes and I see how strained they are. This has clearly been keeping him up. I'm about to keep talking when Nico steps in. He freezes when he sees Leo, 'hi.'
'Hello.' He says, looking from me to Leo. He lands on me, 'Are You okay?'
'I'm fine, Nico.' I say, 'it wasn't his fault. We've talked about this.'
Leo smiles in his annoying way. He waits for Nico to speak.
'I know it wasn't you, I don't blame you.' Nico says quickly and quietly.
'Oh thank gods.' He says, 'I'm so sorry. I really don't know what happened. But I have good news.'
'Good news?' Nico asks, wary.
'I'm remembering some things. There's this school I keep seeing in my head and Annabeth helped me track it down. There's a school dance tonight. We're going to crash it.' Leo says, 'and you guys are welcome to join.'
I look to Nico and he shrugs, 'could be fun.'
'You think a school dance is going to be fun?' I ask, surprised.
'I meant the potential fight, but sure.' He says, 'you think you're up for it? You were meant to be discharged yesterday so you should be good to go.'
'What? I was meant to be discharged yesterday?' I ask, surprised.
'Yeah, I changed the record so you'd have another day in the infirmary to recover.' He says, smiling a little, 'sorry.'
'Nico!' I say, getting out of bed and throwing my pillow at him. He ducks out the way and under my arms.
'I'll take that as a yes.' Leo says, 'it's me, Annabeth, Percy and you guys. Get changed and we'll meet you at Thalia's tree.'
'Get changed?' Nico asks.
'Suits or something.' Leo says, 'these school dances are pretty formal.'
'Suits?' Nico asks again. I can see his disgust at the idea of wearing anything other than his classic jeans and T-shirt combo.
'And do something with your hair. It's always a mess.' Leo says.
'My hair?' He asks, turning to me as Leo heads off, 'what's wrong with my hair?'
'Nothing. I love your hair.' I say, 'but maybe comb it?'