Part 29

NICO

'Percy, these friends of yours?' I ask, on my toes and ready to fight.
'Generous term.' He says.
'Best friends.' Kelly says.
'She's an Empousa.' Annabeth says.
'Don't objectify me.' She says back.
'Why are you here?' Percy asks.
'Same reason as you. I love a school dance.' She says, smiling.
'Are we fighting?' I ask Annabeth quietly. She shrugs. Percy swings his sword round, and I take off my jacket. I don't want to be restricted if it comes to a fight.
'Oh calm down.' Kelly says, 'you've killed me more times than I can count. I'm quite happy being alive for now.'
'You don't want to kill us?' I ask.
'Are you kidding? Your reputation proceeds yourself, Nico.' She says.
'How do you know who I am?' I ask.
'You might recognise some of my friends from Tartarus.' Kelly says , stepping to one side and revealing two girls who smile and wave. I freeze, my arms drop to my side, and for the first time in my life I drop my sword.
'Nico?' Annabeth asks, concerned.
'Fine...I'm fine.' I mutter. But my head is spinning. I'm back in Tartarus. It's all flooding back to me.
'So you...you don't want to kill us?' Percy asks, looking from me to Kelly.
'Not today, Percy. I just want to chat.' She says, 'and don't go getting any crazy ideas, Nico. I've got a couple more friends hanging around your pretty boyfriend.'
'What?' I ask, my voice breaking.
'You hurt one of us, they hurt him.' She says, 'play along and no one gets hurt.'