Part 40

NICO

My head is reeling. I've figured it out. But it's just made things far more complicated. I look to Will and he stares back at me, waiting. They all wait.
'It's my dad. It's Hades.' I say.
'How can you be sure?' Will asks.
'He's done this before.' I say, 'think about it. He made me believe you were dead before, and he knew I would do anything to get you back-'
'Even trade places.' Will says.
'Exactly. He knows it worked before. It's just...this time...'
'He's not faking my death.' Will says, 'he's going to actually kill me.'
'I thought your dad was done with you?' Reyna asks, 'why does he want you back now?'
'Maybe he doesn't. Maybe he just wants me dead.' I say, bleakly.
'For the first three years I knew you I though you were a ghost.' Percy says. It takes us all a moment to remember he's high on drugs.
'Okay, thanks Percy.' I say.
'How do we deal with this?' Hazel asks, 'how can we even fight this?'
'Could Persephone help again?' Annabeth asks.
'I don't know, I'd have to...' I feel myself lax a little. I lose a little control.
'Nico?' Reyna asks, wary. She stands up, by my side.
'I'm okay, I...' a sharp pain in the back of my head takes over, 'Get Will away.' I insist.
'What are you talk-' Will starts to ask.
'Get away.' I shout at him. He realises what's happening. So does Reyna. She takes him by his shoulders and moves him away from me.
'I can't-' He starts, but Reyna leads him away. They sprint away.
'Nico, fight it.' Annabeth says, 'Percy can't fight you. He's the only one who can take you. You've got to fight it.'
'Get him to water.' I say. The pain gets longer and sharper and deeper. I can barely see. But I fight it.
'What?' She asks.
'On a boat. Something. I can't swim. He'll be safe.' I say. Instantly she sprints off.
'Nico, focus on breathing, okay. Stay here.' Hazel says.
'I can't. I can't.' I say. I feel it taking over. Only the fear of what might happen to Will stops it from taking over instantly.
'You can.' She insists.
'You have to go. You can't fight me, I could kill you.' I say, 'you have to go.'
'I'm not going, Nico.' She says.
'She's not going, Nico.' Percy echoes. I turn to Frank.
'Get her and Percy away.' I say. He does.
Only Leo. He watches me, scared. He follows me as I stagger out of the medical centre.
'What do I do?' He asks.
'Set me on fire.' I say.
'What?'
'Set. Me. On. Fire.' I repeat.
'You could die.'
'Then don't let me die.' I say. The pain in my head makes me double over, 'I can't stop it. You have to.'
'Nico-'
'Do it.' I yell at him. He places his hands on my stomach and a whole new pain takes over. I'm burning.
The pain takes over my head and I'm no longer in control.