1.1

Outer Banks, paradise on Earth

Emery Jones a name everyone new in the Outer Banks, even the kooks. Outer Banks is a place like that. You pretty much know everybody, just doesn't mean you like 'em.

Emery's life story pretty easy, she grew up on the cut with her mother and father. Mom died and her dad became pretty shitty so she stayed with her Aunt, living her best life with her friends.

Her friends were her rock. They were easily the troublemakers of the Island, but somehow people still liked them. Each of 'em were different and people always thought would be the downfall of the group. Having someone who isn't scared to pull a gun out a fight and then having someone who the number one thing their concerned about is their scholarship doesn't seem like it would work, but it does.

Emery met two of three of her favorite boys when JJ had knocked over the girls sandcastle. He and John B were throwing a Frisbee out on the beach when he backed up a little too much, tripped over the small girl and landed directly on her sandcastle. At first he laughed his ass off, but quickly stopped when the little girl burst into tears. She still holds a grudge to this day.

Later the whole crew came together. John B, JJ, Emery, Kiara, and Pope. Emery was the one to get Pope into the group. Her family were great friends of Heywards and she naturally became friend with Pope and invited him to meet her boys. No one really knows exactly how or when Kiara became friends with them. It just all happened and they clicked.

Emery and JJ always fight over who were the cause of the friends.

"I'm the one who tripped over you!"

"You would have never tripped over me in the first place if I wasn't there."

"pfft yeah right."

"Yes JJ. I'm right."

For as chaotic of group they were, the group itself was surprisingly organized. Each of them, unintentionally, took on roles and duties. John B took on the leader role, he was the one that texted what they were doing for the day. The boy actually had good planning just sometimes it was a little unrealistic. The chateau was a staple piece in the friend group, it was where they hung out and the door was always open for any of them.

Emery was pretty much everyone's mom. She had one backpack that she carried everywhere that everyone swears is the bag from Mary Poppins. Kiara swears that one time she pulled out a turtle and Kiara yelled at her, but Emery says it was just a dream. Her and Kiara are pretty much the cooks as none of the guys, except Pope, knows how to even use a microwave. How you burn soup, they have no idea.

Pope is the only one who actually has common sense and sometimes that's very questionable. He always gets them out of situations, like the one time they were all running from another old guy and they all ended up in one of the kooks pool. He somehow convinced no one to call the police and they were just checking to make sure the pool worked. Makes no sense, but it worked.

JJ was always the cause of the situations that Pope had to get them out of. He knew about all of the parties and was always the first one up for a kegger. Any kegger they threw had to have JJ Maybank or he swears that nobody would show up. He always was able to get the alcohol and drugs and will never tell anyone how he gets it all, he says its his little secret whatever that means.

Kiara was another version of Emery, but with money. The boys would never survive without them probably from starving or eating literal poison. She's the only person that the boys are genuinely scared of. The only time she's ever gotten mad at them is the many times the boys have littered on the beach. She didn't talk for them for a week and after that week she made them all cry so they learned their lesson.

And it all works. They're the inseparable, trouble making, and chaotic pogues.

"Come on JB you were totally cheating!" JJ yelled slamming his cards on the table.

"Nah man, it's just skill." John B laughed.

"No you cheated and still lost." Emery shook her head, collecting all the cards to reshuffle.

"Yep and I won bitches!" Kiara yelled, jumping up and doing a little victory dance.

"Okay fine. I'll win this one though." John B leaned back in his chair crossing his arms and puting his lips like a little child. Emery looked at JJ, imitating John B which made JJ stick his tongue out back at her.

Emery was half way through dealing the deck back out when she was interrupted by a bright headlights coming from the front of the house.

"Oh yes thank God. Food. Precious Food!" Pope gasps out, stumbling inside and knocking over his own chair in the process.

"Look its Auntie Kara in the house!" JJ yelled as he saw Emery's aunt walking to the front off the house groceries in hand.

"Shut up and come help me with these groceries." Kara yelled back narrowing her eyes at the boys. John and JJ stumbling just like Pope did moments before.

"See these are some of the times the feminism in me leaves." Kiara said leaning back.

Emery quietly laughed following Kiara's lead in looking at the sunset. Everything around her started tuning out as she just focused on the orange and pink hues spreading over the sky and reflecting on the water. Emery closed her eyes, dreaming away like she does, but her thoughts were interrupted before she got too deep by Kiara.

"Emery? Hello?" Kiara said in a singing voice. "The boys are yelling at us to come on."

"Okay okay. I'm coming." Emery laughed as Kiara walked away, grabbing all the cards and putting them. She collected all the board games that had been thrown out all around the fire and on the ground and set them nicely in a pile.

Emery looked at the sunset that was turning into a dark purple and would soon be gone before turning around and seeing JJ running towards her.

"You take so long to do anything you know that?" JJ said throwing Emery over her shoulders.

"Sorry that I was cleaning up your mess." Emery softly kicking her feet.

"I'm offended blondie." JJ said setting her down in the doorway.

"As you should blondie." Emery smiled messing with JJ's hair.