2.2

After the situation at that Chateau, the pogues had all gotten into the van going on another one of John B's adventures

After the situation at that Chateau, the pogues had all gotten into the van going on another one of John B's adventures. Emery hadn't said a word the entire ride still in shock. The silence coming from the usual happy girl put JJ in a down mood used to her smiley self.

John B and Kie were up in the front of the van talking about the compass, Pope listening in from the back of the van. JJ and Emery were also in the back, JJ sitting up with Emery's head in his lap. He was slightly listening into the conversation, but was too busy asking himself how he could have let her get hurt when he was just a few steps away.

"I mean, it's obvious, right? A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message. He had to know it was going to get back to me, right?" John B asked hopefully.

He was still trying to believe that his father was alive or something. However, the rest of them didn't believe it at all. They knew he was dead somewhere, but hated to bring John B's hopes down, especially Kie.

From the ride so far, Emery had found at that the compass had a secret message carved into it. "Redfield." She had no idea what it could mean, But John B had one.

"Yeah. It's possible." Kie said trying to help the boy.

"It could also be possible concocting wild theories to help, you know with your sad feels." Pope said being insensitive, but trying to help.

"I'm not concocting, okay?" John b defended himself. "My dad's trying to give me a message."

JJ looked down at the girl concerned for her.

"Hey. You okay?" JJ whispered, shaking the girl.

Emery looked up at him. She smiled up at the boy as he was showing his soft side for her. She loved when he would show this side because it allowed her to see the real him, but she understood why he had to put off such a strong exterior.

"Yea. Yea I'm okay. My hands stinging like crap, but I'm okay. I think I'm just in shock ya know." Emery said.

"Yea of course babygirl." He paused sighing, "I was so scared you were going to die. When I heard your voice I almost ran out the door, but I knew it wouldn't do anything. God, I should have got to you."

"Handsome, it's not your fault. If you would have walked out and gotten yourself shot at or beat up then that would do any good. Plus you would have shown where the rest of us were." Emery said kissing his cheek and laying back down in his lap.

"Look my dad is missing, Okay? Missing. You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish. And then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering" John B said.

They had all went silent feeling sorry for him. Emery, finally snapped back out of her shock of state.

"John B. It's almost been a year." Kie said.

"Hey, he could have been kidnapped. That's a possibility." JJ said.

Emery couldn't tell if JJ was trying to lighten the situation or was actually being serious. Whatever he was doing was pretty insensitive, but it was usually just how he acted regularly.

"Yeah, he could be in the soviet sub being interrogated by the KGB somewhere." Pope said playing along with JJ.

"Totally. Or, uh, Atlantis." JJ carried on.

"JJ! Stop." Emery said looking at the boy like he was crazy. Everyone's head snapped to her as this was the first time she had spoken to anyone, but JJ. This quickly changed when Kiara spoke up again.

"Look, what do you think the message is?" Kie asked trying to help the boy figure out or cope.

"Redfield. Redfield lighthouse. My dad's favorite place." John B said as he stopped the van in front of it.

They all quickly jumped out of the van staring at the tall structure.

"Look if this is going to happen, you're going to post up and look out for bogeys." John B said pointing to J.

"Wait, why me." JJ said, offended.

"Because you're not coming." Pope said.

"Why?" JJ demanded.

"There are independent and dependent variables. You're independent. We don't know what you'll do." Pope said as if it was obvious. Which it really was.

JJ tried to defend himself against Pope feeling offended at what he was saying, but he knew it was true.

"Shut up! Emery, Pope you two stand lookout with JJ. Okay?" John B said

"I'm good with that." Emery said. She didn't want to have any more adventures

"If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house." John B thought ahead.

"Great." Kie said walking towards the lighthouse with John B.

"I'm gonna work my my merit scholarship essay and try to keep my felonies to a minimum." Pope said

"All right, would you just shut up already?" JJ asked kicking a rock on his foot.

"JJ don't be mean." Emery said walking over to the van.

JJ followed the girl to the van, grabbing her waist and hoisting her on top of the van. He quickly jumped and pulled himself up beside her. The two sat in a comfortable silence, Emery was smiling with her eyes closed as she felt the wind blowing through her hair. She could feel someone staring at her so she peeked one eye open to see JJ staring at her smiling.

"What?" Emery asked fully opening both her eyes.

JJ snapped out of his daze realizing he had been caught staring at the gorgeous girl. He had noticed how her hair had hints of gold in it when the sun reflected on it and how her skin sparkled in the light.

"Uh, what was I doing?" JJ questioned trying to cover it up.

"You were staring at me." Emery said smiling. She had to admit that to know the boy was staring at her made her grow butterflies in her stomach.

"I wasn't staring, I was admiring." JJ said not covering up what he was doing anymore.

"Well what'd you find?" Emery smirked.

"I mean I found out that you're beautiful. Even though I already knew that." JJ answered.

Emery knew that her face had turned bright red because she could feet the heat on her face. Before she could say anything back to him, police sirens were heard approaching the lighthouse.

"Oh, shit." Pope said running to the van.

Emery and JJ jumped off the top of the roof and jumped into the van. JJ ran to the drivers seat and Emery hopped into the passengers.

"Go!" Pope yelled from the back of a van.

"We're just leaving them?" Emery asked.

"They'll be fine Em." JJ said hitting the gas, the van shooting forward.