1.3

Emery's always hated storms

Emery's always hated storms. Ever since she was little she's hated the loud noises of the thunder and lightning, but she loved the sound of soft raining hitting a hard surface. She hates to be scared but she didn't hide it very much the night Agatha hit Outer Banks. The first sound of thunder she had told her Aunt she was going over to John B's to spend the night. Her Aunt obviously said yes loving the young boy and knew he wouldn't take her out in the storm.

JJ had the same idea that Emery had and decided to stay over at John B's. He didn't want to get stuck at home with an abusive father.

That night John B had taken his room while Emery and JJ had taken the pull-out couch. JJ knew that Emery was scared of storms so he protectively wrapped his arm over the girl and made sure she fell asleep before he did.

✰✰✰✰

Emery had woken up to John B attempting to wake the two up to go check out what Agatha had done to the Island.

"Yo JJ, Em. You two been outside?" John B questioned shaking the boy who still had this arm around the girl.

"I have polio, bro, I can't walk." JJ mumbled out pulling the girl closer to his chest.

"Come on J. Wake up. let's go see what Agatha did." Emery said pulling the boys arm off her side.

Emery walked outside leaning up against the house looking at the damage that had happened in John B's backyard.

"Oh, man." Emery heard John B softly mumble.

"Agatha did some work, huh?" JJ asked.

"Yea she sure did." John B replied while Emery was having a hard time looking at the damage this hurricane had done.

Emery knew that most of these people didn't have the money to pay for the damage that had happened to their homes, boats, and cars. Most didn't even have insurance. Knowing this her heart broke and she immediately thought of her aunt.

"Shoot. I have to call Kara." Emery said while walking to get her phone.

"You can't Em. Service is down." John B told the girl. The girl had groaned hearing this and turned towards the wall to repeatedly hit her head on it, until JJ came over placing his hand between the blondes head and the wall that most likely would have given her splinters if she continued.

"I'm sure she's fine. We can go check later." JJ said now pulling his hand up, her head coming up with it.

"So, John B, What ya thinkin'?" JJ asked as John B was getting sticks and leaves out of the boat.

"I'm thinking that the storm surge pushed all those crabs out on the marsh maze. All those drums are gonna be chasing the crabs." John B said ready to go fishing.

"What about DCS?" Emery asked John B.

"Yea wasn't that today." JJ continued.

"Nah they're not getting on a ferry." John stated like it was a fact. "Y'know think about it. It's God telling us to fish"