Driving All Day And Night

*Josie*

"Ryan, baby, you'll never believe the crappy day I've had," I placed the keys to the apartment in the little bowl in the entrance way and flung my shoes off. I placed my hand on my stomach and smiled. I looked up and Ryan wasn't in sight. "Babe?" I called out again. The bedroom door was shut and I went towards it. Right as I got to the door, however, moaning and sighing came from the other side. What the—

I pushed the door open and caught my man red handed.

"What the—" Ryan scrambled to a sitting position, revealing his bare chest and the gleaming sweat running down it. On top of him and surprisingly still in her braw, was a beautiful, brunette slut.

"Josie! Baby!" Tears beamed to the surface and the ugly sight before me became blurry.

"I'm pregnant," I said, then I broke down into a sob.

"What!?" That's not exactly what a girl tells her boyfriend in whom she just caught cheating.

"I'm pregnant, Ryan. And you've just proven to me that you're not ready." I looked at the bimbo still on top of him. "I hope he treats you better," I said to her. I clung to my stomach and just cried. Ryan scrambled out of bed and the girl wrapped the remainder of the covers around her. My boyfriend slipped boxers on then a pair of jeans.

"I want to talk." I nodded and wiped at my face. I left the room we shared, in which he thought was rentable to other lovers, and he followed. Our apartment was small so the walk to the couch wasn't far. I plopped myself down and folded my arms.

"I thought we were happy," I choked. Ryan sat down uneasily next to me and rubbed his large hands together. Hands that have been groping another woman's body for all I know. His messy brown hair was even more messy than usual.

"You're sure you're pregnant?" He asked. I nodded, trying to keep the snot in my nose. He rubbed a hand over his tattoo which was a habit of his. His tattoo was a skull with flames around it. I was with him when he got it. It ached for a while and every time he got nervous he itched it. Now, he was rubbing his side anxiously.

"If I wasn't pregnant, and I hadn't caught you with another girl, would you have broken up with me? Or would you have enjoyed two girls at your beck-and-call?"

"Joe," he called me by my nickname. I held my hand up.

"I don't want to hear the answer. It's over, Ryan. I'm sorry. Actually, I don't know why I'm sorry. You should be sorry." I stood up and clenched my fists. "I'm not getting an abortion or putting my baby up for adoption. You can't make me. I want nothing to do with you." He stood up with a startle.

"You don't want me to pay for ... like child support or something?" I shook my head.

"I'm never telling my baby who their dad is. I would be ashamed. What kind of a role model are you for them? You cheated on me, Ryan. You didn't have the balls to break up with me. But I have the ability to man up. I'm leaving." I went to the bedroom and ignored the girl still in bed. I grabbed my suitcase from off of the top shelf in the closet and began to throw hangers on the floor and clothes into the suitcase. I then went to the drawers of the dresser Ryan and I shared and grabbed my things. I went to the kitchen, grabbed a few trash bags, then filled those up with more clothes and shoes. My stupid ex boyfriend just stood in the front room leaning against the wall, watching me walk out of his life.

"I'm worried, Joe, where are you going? Who are you going to stay with? Please, stay the night and in the morning we'll figure something out." I shook my head and wiped at the tears.

These tears weren't for him. They were for the fact that I didn't even know where the heck I was going.

Before I left the apartment with a suitcase and two black trash bags, I turned to Ryan who had gotten a shirt on and the girl I had caught with him, and said, "I lost my job today, that's what I was trying to tell you when I came in here. But congratulations, you have made that hurt less.

"Josie!" He called to me down the hall of the apartment complex.

"I'm leaving, Ryan! Don't even think about trying to find me or my kid! You hear me!" I left the place crying and hopped into my car. It was snowing. Of course. I started up the car and blasted the warm air. I turned up the radio to the point where I couldn't hear my sobs.

Where the heck am I going? I thought to myself. I have absolutely no where to go. I don't have very many friends—well, not close ones that I would feel comfortable staying with. And my dad here didn't have the room for me.

I drove all night and once it was three in the morning, I pulled into a gas station halfway through the state of Ohio. I filled the tank and grabbed some snacks. Then it was back on the road.

At noon I stopped again, halfway through Iowa, and slept. Got some gas then it was back on the road. I got a motel room at ten o'clock at night but couldn't fall asleep in the state of South Dakota. The events of yesterday wouldn't escape my mind.

*****

At four in the morning I had run late once more to the coffee shop I was working at, and that was my third strike. On my way out—jobless—of the coffee joint, I threw up all over a man walking on the street. I quickly ran to the drug store and got a pregnancy test, then, I went to the nearest bathroom at a mall and took it. I was positive. The box came with another testing stick and I used that one as well. Again, positive. I called my dad first and told him the good news. He was very happy for me and Ryan.

*****

Sorry, dad. Your daughter is now a broke, 24 year-old girl, who is jobless, boyfriendless, and pregnant.

I finally found sleep around ten o'clock then left the motel at five the next morning. I didn't know where I was going, but I was going to try my best to distance myself as far as I could from New York City. Until I run out of money for gas, I'll be where I'm meant to be.

Seventeen hours later, I was in the state of Idaho. It was now ten o'clock. And man was I tired.

I slept in most of the next day but late the next night, I got into Seattle, Washington. Then, finally, I was out of gas. I guessed God wanted me in the city once more.

I got an apartment with what little money I had left then began my job searching.

I soon found myself as one of the mailroom people at the Robinson Incorporation Building. And man was it massive.