An Unrequited Love

*Elizabeth*

As I drove home, I thought of the man I was foolishly in love with.

I thought of the flight back from Tokyo back when I gave him advice.

I've hated myself since. I gave him good advice! And I shouldn't have. What I said to him tonight is what he needed to hear all those months ago before I allowed him to get himself stuck in a loveless marriage.

Thinking about him had me thinking about the first time I met him.

*****

I walked into the Robinson Inc. building swaying my hips and crossing my feet just like my mother taught me. My hair laid perfectly on my shoulders and I wore a fake smirk that had all the men in the office gawking and the women frowning.

Yep! The beauty queen has arrived. I may only be nineteen, but I am definitely the most beautiful person here.

I've been the model for this company for a few months. I liked it. My manager—my mother—got me the job right when the position opened. At first I was nervous. Never before had I seen my face on billboards and websites. But here I was, the face of thee Robinson Incorporation. It's a small business but I have faith that it'll grow.

Once I climbed into the elevator, my facade disappeared. Even though I looked confident and happy about myself I really wasn't. I hate being a model. I hate not being able to eat what I want. I hate how I have to work out as much as I do everyday to keep this body going.

And I hate how I can't date. My manager is fully against it. She says for a woman to become successful in this world, she must stay away from all men. How can that be right? Can't a woman just be happy as a stay home mom with kids, waiting for her hardworking man to get home and shower her and their children in kisses?

When the elevator doors opened, I put my shoulders back and my chin up and carried on as the confident, beautiful, nineteen-year-old girl I was. I walked past all the desks with eyes on me straight to the office at the end of the great office room.

"Harry Robinson" read the plaque on the wooden door. I put on my best smile and opened the door. My smile immediately disappeared when I realized no one was in the office. I looked at my phone and wondered if I was too early for my meeting with the CEO of the company.

I decided to take a seat at one of the two chairs in front of the desk and wait.

Five minutes passed and my eyes were set on the open box of donuts on the desk. I tried to distract myself with the view outside the giant glass windows and the fact that the office I was in did not look like the proper size for a really powerful man. It was actually very small and quaint, and I guessed the desk was bought from IKEA.

Fifteen minutes passed and I was scarfing down a donut. No one to see me and tell me no, so why not? The sugar in my mouth was something that I'd been missing over the past few years. I ate another donut and by the time someone walked into the room I was caught red handed with my third donut.

The young man that walked in was tall but fat. His suit looked uncomfortable on him as it was obviously too tight. His dark hair was a greasy mess and he hadn't shaved in what looked like two days. His ears stuck out and he looked like sleep wasn't a luxury.

I immediately dropped the donut in the box and stood up, swinging my sticky hands behind my back.

We stared at each other for a few seconds until the man in front of me kindly smiled and gestured to the box of donuts.

"Don't let me stop you." He chuckled as he took a seat in the big chair at the desk.

"Are you Mr. Robinson?"