Happy Birthday

Author's note: I apologize for the month break I took. I placed a message on my board explaining why.

I do not support Pride Month nor BLM. I do not hate the people and I am not a racist. But Wattpad is supporting it and I just couldn't stand going on the app until it was all over. It's July 1st, so, as promised, I will go back to updating my stories.

I hope you enjoy the book. Thank you for your support.

*Josie*

The Easter Charity Event Ball was the same day as my birthday. I was now over twenty-two weeks pregnant. During these past few weeks, I've been dodging calls from Ryan. He wouldn't stop. Sometimes I was tempted to answer. Ever since going to New York and cheating on my husband, Harry's been standoffish. The last time I had sex was with Ryan. That was how bad it was. And he spent extra hours at the office. I would wake up with no one in bed and I would see him a little after work before he locked himself in his personal office. I tried to keep myself busy with the record label but I couldn't focus. Harry was avoiding me. And he was drinking again.

He told me a week ago about the charity ball and told me that it would be best that we go to it.

I wondered if he knew that it was my birthday or not. We told each other about our birth dates a while ago when we signed the documents of marriage.

Today was my birthday, and I was standing in front of a mirror, twenty-two weeks pregnant, in a light blush pink tool dress, my hair done up, looking at the empty space beside me.

The front door opened and I ran out of the room. I stopped at the top of the stairs when I spotted my husband who was still in a business suit about to ascend the stairs. He looked me up and down and I blushed. I walked towards him and gripped his suit coat. We stared into one another's eyes then I kissed his chin. The moment we spent looking into each other's eyes was fast.

"Harry," I began, "I love you."

"I know." He looked down at his shoes. "I need to get dressed." I looked down and nodded. I waited downstairs only for a few minutes until Harry was ready to leave. We drove in silence. No talking and no music. It was suffocating.

We got to the hotel the banquet was being held and my skin shivered as I felt Harry's hand in my back as he led me into the building. He and I hadn't made contact with one another for weeks and me kissing his chin earlier and this was now exciting me!

We walked into the banquet and Harry was immediately crowded by older men. I wanted to be by his side but I knew that it would probably be best if I left him to the CEO talk.

I went to walk away until Harry tightened his hold on my waist, keeping me from leaving. I looked up at him but he didn't return the stare. Goose bumps appeared all over my arms and neck and my cheeks turned red as my husband's strong thumb caressed up and down my thick waist.

Then awful thoughts began entering in. Maybe Harry was just trying to show the public that he and I were still a happy couple. That nothing was wrong. If so, he was doing a good job. Even I wanted to believe nothing was wrong with our relationship as he held me close to him.

The men talked about things I barely knew the definitions of but I didn't want to leave Harry's side. If he wants to fake then I'll play along, because this way, I'll be closer to him. Elizabeth, Danielle, and Annabelle were coming towards me with snooty looks and I tugged Harry down to whisper in his ear.

"Are we fighting?"

"What?" He looked at me with a stern and worried expression.

"We haven't talked in a while ... Are you mad at me?"