Contract Of Marriage

*Harry*

I looked out my office window at the white flakes making their way down to the busy streets of Seattle. I sipped my coffee still wondering why I was able to fall asleep last night without drinking a drop of alcohol. Josie. I couldn't stop thinking about her for the rest of the night after hearing her sing. What a beautiful voice. She didn't need music to go along with what she was singing. Her vocals were enough.

I dreamt of her beautiful voice in the background as I relived that day in London. I've never talked to a girl so fluently. This is why I don't have a girlfriend. Because I'm a shy guy. But with Josie, I'm far from that. Giving her my card.

I looked at my phone and I didn't have any missed calls or messages from her.

I went to my meetings for the day until it was lunch time. I texted her out of wanting to see her green eyes again and asked if she wanted to go. We met on the 17th floor and we only received more looks from my employees. I wanted them to back off but in all honesty, I don't have the defiant guts to do it.

Josie told me about a tomato soup so I ordered it.

"Did you eat yesterday?" I shook my head in response to her question. "I need to keep to my promise and make sure you eat everyday."

"Have lunch with me everyday, then."

"I plan on it." I smiled and took a sip of my soda.

"When do you plan on treating me instead of me treating you?" She stopped in mid motion with a spoon in her hand to take a bite.

"He-he. I'm honestly broke. I live pay check to pay check and I had a doctors appointment recently so I'm living pretty tight right now." I nodded with understanding wondering if me offering to help her out would be too weird. I mean, we've only technically known each other for three days now. We're just friends.

"What was the doctors appointment for?" I asked instead. I took a sip of my soup and missed the nervous look on Josie's face.

"I'm pregnant." I choked on my soup and the spoon clanked back into the bowl. I wasn't wearing my suit coat and the red sauce of the soup got little spots on my white button up. "Ooo," Josie added. "Sorry,"

"No apology needed. I just didn't think you would say that." I chuckled nervously. I looked down at the mess I made out of my surprise. I whipped out my phone and texted Liza to get me a shirt from my apartment. "I'll just ask my secretary to get me a new shirt."

Josie nodded. "Do you like wearing big clothes?" She suddenly asked, as if telling me she was pregnant never happened.

"Well, I've lost a lot of weight over the past five years and just haven't had the time to go out shopping."

"That's a lame excuse. What size do you wear? I'll go out and buy you a new suit."

"What?"

"I'll be honest, you may be a multimillionaire, but Harry, you look a bit tacky wearing oversized suits." I gave her a blank stare. "I'm sorry, did I go too far? I was just saying that as a friend."

"No, thank you, I'll Uh ... "

"How 'bout this, we can talk about me becoming a star while we go out shopping later today. I get off earlier today at four. And your the boss man, so you should be able to leave whenever you want. Yeah?" I blushed and looked down at my food. She was pregnant. And she's treating me as a friend. I guess it was too good to be true for me to be falling for a poor, blond singer.

I nodded and texted Liza to cancel my five o'clock meeting.

"Might I ask why sir?" She later asked.