New Years Phone Calls

*Josie*

I woke on Christmas morning having the urge to throw up. As I puked my guts out, Harry came running in to hold my hair back, which I had taken out of a pony tail yesterday.

"Are you okay?" He asked sincerely while rubbing my back. He's such a nice guy. I nodded once I was done dry heaving and flushed the toilet.

"Thanks." I said. I got up and sat on the toilet. "How did you sleep last night?" I asked.

"Same as usual."

"You get drunk like that every night?" He nodded and left the bathroom, obviously not wanting to go into details. I wonder if he remembers last night.

I got up from the toilet and washed my hands. I went into the kitchen and found Harry reading his phone while drinking coffee. He was dressed in one of his new suits.

"Are you going to work?"

"Yep."

"But it's Christmas. You should take the day off."

"I don't like the holiday so why would I take the day off?"

"Because now you have someone to spend it with." He looked at me with a blank face, surprised at my response. I didn't want to be alone on my favorite holiday. We're married now! We should spend the best holiday in the world together! "Please?" I begged.

"I told you that I was going to be very busy."

"I know ... " I looked down at my toes. Soon I won't be able to see my toes. I don't want to be the obedient wife. Does Harry think I'll be? But he has work. And I'm being selfish in asking him to stay. "Can you come home sooner then you would?" I pathetically asked. Harry looked at me right as I looked up at him. He was thinking. His gaze was strong.

"Thank you for helping me to bed last night. I apologize that you had to see me in that state." I shook my head, still waiting for a response to my question. He didn't say anything more and left.

I stomped my feet around the house as I went up to my room to get dressed for the day. I dropped the goodies off at the foster home then went and took a walk in the park. It was cold. I was hungry. So I went back home. But I was lonely at home. I looked at my phone and stared at Harry's name. Should I text him? I asked myself. Why do I miss him so much? I sat around watching stupid Christmas romance movies until I heard the door open. I paused the TV and ran to my husband.

"You're home earlier than usual!" I went to jump on him and hug him like a married, loving wife would but decided against it. We may be married but we're not that close. And he might get mad if I hug him like I want to.

Then I noticed the bags in his hands. He chuckled and said, "I went shopping. I wanted to get you something."

"I told you that you didn't have to."

"I wanted to."

"If you keep spending money on me, you'll go broke."

"Then you'll be broke, too. And you're used to that." I smacked him.

"That was mean."