Mother's News

*Harry*

"You're grandfather has passed away." My mother said to me once we were alone in my office.

"Grandfather?" I questioned. "I didn't know I had any other family besides father." I grabbed scotch from a cupboard and pored two glasses for my mother and I.

The reason I gave my mother the time of day is because it sounded serious.

I handed my mother her glass in which she gladly took and answered my bewilderment. "My mother passed away when I was a little girl. My father remarried and wanted nothing to do with me. So that's why I never told your father and you about him. However, he just passed away. His wife died a few years ago. They didn't have any kids so ... all of his money is yours."

"Mine?"

"Yes. Apparently, he's been keeping tabs on you and has placed you in his will."

My mother's tone revealed how irritated she was with the arrangement. Suddenly, it was all making sense. Why she left my father. She was once rich. And she couldn't stand not being apart of that 1% after marrying my father.

"His estate is in England." She added. She placed her glass down on my desk and searched through her bag. She pulled out a folder and handed it to me. I placed my own glass down and took the folder.

It was my grandfather's will and other information containing all that he owned, including the estate.

"If you read through, you'll see that you will not inherit the money unless you take up the estate. His lawyers seemed very strict about that." She rolled her eyes and I smiled.

"I was about to ask you where you got the heart to even tell me about this great fortune but I guess I just got my answer."

The young looking woman rolled her eyes once more and scoffed. "His lawyers are his wife's. She told them to make sure I didn't get a cent of my father's fortune." I chuckled.

"Smart woman." My mother just downed her scotch in reply and gave me a glare.

"Well, it's all there."

"Thank you." I waved the folder above my head before plopping it down on my desk.

"So," she began, she reached her glass out to me and I refilled it. "Josie Mill. Interesting choice in girl."

"I love her."

"No you don't."

Everything stopped. Why would my mother say such a thing? I love Josie. I love my wife. The future mother of my children.

"Told ya." She teased. I shook my head, trying to shake off the look of uncertainty that had just displayed itself on my face. I felt a pit in my stomach that didn't seem to go away no matter how many times I repeated, "I love Josie."

"By the way, you're looking very good these days. The last time I saw you you were obese. I couldn't believe your father allowed you to get so big. No wonder you're twenty-seven and still single."

"Can you just shut it for like one second?"

"There is no need to speak so rudely to your mother, Harry. That is not how I raised—"

"You didn't raise me. In fact, I feel just like you."

"Pardon?"

"You did exactly what your father did to you, to me. You left me. You wanted nothing to do with me. Money had been the only reason you ever reentered my life. I'm sick of it."