Voice Of An Angel

*Josie*

The next day of work was full of flying rumors. I got to the mail room and my friend, Carl, pushed me against one of the tables.

"Carl, how many times do I have to remind you that I'm not interested?"

"I'm—No not that. I'm talking about yesterday! What in the world were you doing flirting and talking with thee Mr. Robinson?"

"What? Ha-ha. He and I met a long time ago. We're just friends."

"It seemed like more than just 'good friends'."

"How? Did you see us?"

"No," he pushed off and folded his arms. Carl was skinny, and not very tall. He, too, hadn't gone for a single year to college and has been working at the Robinson Incorporation Building for over three years now. He's also 24 and is kind of cute. He has dirty-blond hair and pale, gray eyes. In just two weeks, he's the closest friend I've ever had. If he was in New York, I probably would have asked to live with him. When he found out about my whole life story or at least the reason I moved here, he offered to take me in. But I wasn't comfortable with him just yet. Now, I probably would take up the offer in a heartbeat if he asked again.

"But rumors are spreading that he likes you,"

"What? That's absurd. No one would like a broke, twenty-four-year-old, pregnant woman with a job as a mailroom lady, let alone a multimillionaire."

"He know you're pregnant?" I looked away, trying to hide the invisible fact that I actually kind of gained a liking to Harry.

"No, and when he does, I'm sure the rumors will stop because no way in heck would he ever date a lower-class citizen like me."

"You just said that because he's British." Carl gave me a lazy look.

"His family would never approve of me."

"To heck with his family, Mr. Robinson built this company on his own. His parents aren't even rich. I hear that he hasn't talked to his mom in over two years."

"And his dad?"

"Oh, he talks to him sometimes." Carl shrugged. I rolled my eyes.

"Look, we're just friends. I don't want to deal with any drama. I'm already under enough stress as it is trying to keep myself fed. I'm lucky Harry even bought my meal yesterday or else I wouldn't have been able to buy dinner."

"You're crazy, Josie."

"I just need a rich man to sweep me off my feet and carry me into a life of luxury and raise our beautiful children together."

"Mr. Robinson is rich."

"He can't sweep me off my feet." I said with a little dissatisfaction in my tone.

"You're right, that guy is skinnier than me. And you'll get bigger as the baby grows." I smacked him in the chest. He chuckled as he rubbed the spot I hit.

I hadn't exchanged numbers or anything with Harry and when it was time for lunch, I begged Carl to help me with the meal. I had to pay for a doctors appointment a week ago and now I was living on a tight budget. I was in the first floor cafeteria and I didn't expect the man at the top to stoop so low. I didn't see Harry at all and I was a little disappointed. We connected just like we had in England all those years ago.

*****

I kept backing up trying to get a good picture of something (I can't remember) when I stepped on a squishy stomach and fell on my butt.