Us?

I woke up to my obnoxious alarm reminding me that I have dance practice today. Although I love dancing, I was not looking forward to today. I was surprised to see that Jack hasn't texted me at all this morning, so I decided to call him. After my second time calling, he finally picked up.

"Hello?" he said in a sleepy voice, showing that he just woke up. As much as I hate to admit it, Jack's sleepy voice completely turned me on.
"It's 12:30 and you said you would drive me to my dance practice. And from the sounds of it, it seems like you overslept." I laughed.
"Shit I totally forgot, I'll be there in 30." and then I heard a click, meaning he hung up. I decided to fix up a bowl of cereal before getting ready so I can dodge my stomach making whale sounds. I slowly ate and got ready, not caring what time it was. Jack finally came and made himself at home while I looked for my dancing shoes. I forgot to mention, my mom had an extra key for the house so I gave it to Jack, since he's here most of the time.

Jack drove incredibly slow today which was fine with me. I was enjoying the silence until Jack spoke.
"What do you think about us?" he blurted. The look on his face made it seem as if he regretted asking.
"Us?"
"Never mind, that's a weird question. We're best friends."
I didn't know what else to say so I kept quiet. The rest of the car ride was silent. But not the peaceful kind of silence, the uncomfortable kind.

Dance practice was a blur. All I could think of was that question. Us? What about us? We're best friends. Did he mean more than just best friends? Us?

JACKS POV

I keep blurting things out. First I love you, now I ask her what she thinks about us? What's next, am I gonna ask her to be my girl friend? I need to tell her but I keep getting so worried. Did I expect her to say something back when I asked her what she thought about us? I need to get all this shit off my mind.
I get my phone and started texting. "Johnson, you got any weed?"

BACK TO NORMAL POV

Dance practice seemed like it would never end. I sat on the curb outside waiting for Jack to come pick me up, but it's been 30 minutes and he's still not here. I decide to call him
but he wouldn't answer, so I texted him. I got a reply back about a minute later saying "What? I'm busy." Well that was rude. Someone's having a bad day.
"Fuck" I said aloud, realizing I have no ride home.
"What're you still doing here?" I heard a voice say. It was my dance partner, Austin.
"Waiting for my ride but I guess he forgot." I said while licking my lips.
"I can take you home. If that's fine with you?"
"Sure, that would be nice. Thank you" I replied while smiling. I decided to text Jack saying I had already found a ride and he had nothing to worry about. Although, it seemed as if he doesn't care since he's "busy."

I gave Austin the directions to my house and we got to know a little more about each other during the car ride. We are partners for our upcoming dance performance, but we never actually got a chance to actually talk, so I guess this made up for it. He's actually a really sweet guy and he is pretty handsome. The car ride ended shortly, and he dropped me off after we said our goodbyes and I said thank you. I decided to call Jack again, but once again, no answer. I don't know what's up with him lately, but it doesn't seem right. And I have no idea what it was. I was going to call again but I thought I might as well leave him alone, he's probably doing something important. I made myself some Mac & cheese and crawled up onto the sofa with the book Paper Towns. I drowned myself into my reading, forgetting about Jack and the real world for a while.