Chapter twelve

--------Annabeths POV

I heard Percy's car pull out of the gravel driveway, and then turned back to Susan.

"You have to ask me before someone comes over! Understand?!?" she yells.

I nod my head sharply.

"I can't hear you."

"Yes."

She raises an eyebrow.

"Yes, mom." I sigh. She always makes me call her that, but I hate it. Mom is gone, she's not my mom.

"Why was he here?" she asks.

"I was just helping him study."

"Don't you lie to me! why was he here?!?"

"I-" I barely start to answer before I feel her hand collide with my cheek.

Hard.

It burns so much I can barely talk. I put my hand to my cheek and open and close my mouth like a fish, unsure of what to do.

Finally I manage a whisper, "I was just helping him study. Thats all."

She narrows her eyes at me and then storms out of her room, slamming the door on the way.

I sigh, and pick up my phone. there's a text from Percy.

Seaweed brain: call me when you can.

I call him. After two rings, he picks up.

"Hey. Annabeth, you okay?"

"Yeah. yeah I'm fine." I touch my cheek gently.

"Oh, good. I hear yelling when I left, so..."

"Yeah, well. I'm okay, thanks."

There's a short silence.

"Sorry." he says.

"For what?"

"It's my fault you got yelled at, I was the one who asked to come over."

"No, I should've just asked her anyway."

"Alright, uh, see ya tomorrow I guess."

"Okay, bye."

"Adios."

He hangs up.

I fall back onto the bed. A small smile spreads across my face, turning into a grin.

I kissed Percy Jackson.

The Perseus Jackson.

I guess today wasn't as bad as I thought.

I reach over and turn of the lamp, climb under the covers, and slowly drift away into the darkness.