Chapter 1

"Mhmm I spy with my little eye something brown" I said looking at the horses running in the field. "Is it a horsey?" Kennedy asked looking out the window. "Wow Kenny" I feigned shocked. "How did you get so smart?" I asked her, keeping my eyes on the road.
  "Because I'm five" she smiled. "What I thought you were four!" I exclaimed looking at her through the rearview mirror. "No" she exclaimed annoyed that I didn't believe her. "I'm five. You don't remember my birthday?" She asked sternly.
  "No I was there. I remember four candles." I lied. "No it was five" she replied. "Nuh Uh" I told her shaking my head. "Uh huh" she argued back.
We were so busy arguing that I wasn't paying attention. I didn't see the blur run across the road hitting my windshield making me hit my head on the wheel hard enough to knock me out. I felt us spin out of control completely. I stepped on the brake hard while keeping the wheel straight. My heart was beating a mile a minute. It felt like forever before the car finally stopped. I heard a ringing in the distance, but I couldn't make it out. Kennedy. I thought instantly.
  "Kenny it's ok. It's ok." I told her feeling my head throb vigorously.
I felt my vision start to sway and blur. I wiped my eye and instantly felt the blood. I couldn't focus with Kenny's crying. I used my sleeve to wipe most of the blood off my face so I wouldn't scare her. I turned around to check on her and saw her face filled with tears.
"Kenny it ok. See I'm fine just a little cut please stop crying baby." I begged her willing myself not to cry. I checked her seat and surely, she was still strapped into her car seat just a little shaken up.
I got out the car to check the damage and set Kenny free. As soon as I stood, I started to spin. I squeezed into the handle trying to focus on Kenny's crying. Before I could even inhale I felt the vomit reach its way and spew all over the pavement. I was so busy throwing up that I didn't hear the truck pull to a stop. "Are you ok?" Was all I heard before I passed out.
     I opened my eyes to find nothing but darkness. I sat up slowly trying to stop the spinning. I was sweating up a storm, and my head was killing me. I pulled the cover off me trying to find a light. I felt around next to me finding a nightstand. I felt around some more until I felt a switch and clicked it bringing the light into the dark. It burned badly and made my throbbing head hurt even worse.
Where am I? What was I doing? All the questioned ran through my head. "Kennedy" I whispered jumping out the bed to find the door. I opened the door running down the stair to find the living room empty.
"Oh my god" I whispered feeling my heart pound ridiculously and my eyes start to water. "Kenny" I called running through the house. "Kenny" I called again more frantically. Dammit why is this house so fucking big.
"Dammit" I exclaimed reaching the kitchen to find the back door open hearing laughter and talking. I ran outside to find Kennedy and a few other kids around her age playing.
"Kennedy!" I yelled getting everyone's attention not caring how I looked. I probably looked like a crazed lunatic but so what. "Quinney" she smiled running towards me hugging me.
  "Oh my god" I sighed squeezing her tightly. "Are you ok baby girl?" I asked looking her over. "Yes. Can I go play now?" she asked unfazed by the incident from earlier. I looked her over one last time before I nodded watching her run back towards the kids and start playing.
"Hello" I heard a woman from beside me say. "Come sit, eat, join us" she smiled walking towards the table.
I followed her cautiously and sat down while she made me a small plate. She was very pretty. Her hair was a nice auburn and it looked wonderfully soft. She was a bit tall but not by much. She had on a lovely floral dress. A few seconds later she came back and sat a plate, a glass, and two pills infront of me. "Dig inn" she smiled.
   I ate swiftly. The food was amazing. So far, they were just talking amongst each other. I was just eating and listening.
  "So" the woman asked getting my attention. "do you feel better?" The woman asked. "Yes. Thank you" I exclaimed taking a sip of my drink.
"You must be Quinny" the woman smiled and I nodded. "I'm Olivia, and this is my husband Troy." She pointed to the man next to her. "And this is my sister Alice and her husband Mike" she pointed. "Hey" They waved.
"Thank you for putting us up. I really appreciate it but I think we're gonna get going now" I told them standing up. "Nonsense" Troy said smiling. "You need some rest. You have a concussion and it's not safe to be driving at this time. It gets really dark out here" he said taking the plates.
Now that I started looking, their backyard was beautiful. It was large and green. They had a large pool that looked great to swim in. The back patio was covered in lights and had a picnic table. It was straight out of homes and gardens.
"No we really have to get going and besides, I don't want to impose" I told them. "It's fine." Olivia waved "Plus the front of your car is super damaged. It'll take at least a couple weeks to get it fixed. At best." Olivia said. "Stay a while besides we really don't get Visitors in Wolf Point" Alice smiled. "Where are we exactly?" I asked. "Montana" Olivia smiled.
      Montana's not that bad. Olivia and Troy have been the greatest host. It's been a week and so far, it looks like I'm going to need a new car. My windshield and hood of my car was missing. While the front was all bent up. I don't know what animal we hit but I sure hope it was ok.
"Quinney why do we have to leave? I like it here" Kennedy whined packing her stuff. I hated that we moved a lot but it was for her own safety.
"Because were overstaying our welcome and we have to go" I told her packing my bag as well. I dug my hand under the mattress getting our papers and stuffing them into the side pocket of my suitcase.
  "No" she stomped. "I wanna stay with Maddy and Izzy. Besides you're not the boss of me." she huffed knocking her bag over spilling all the contents on the floor. I hated when she got into her little attitudes.
  "Noooo" she let out a scream running out the room. "Please lord I can only handle one break down at a time" I said looking at the ceiling.
I decided to let her cool off and pack her bag. A few minutes later I made my way downstairs to find Kenny. Olivia and Troy were out for the night so I watched their daughter Maddy. I mean it was the least I could do. I made my way to Maddy's room to find the girls in their talking.
  "I don't want you to leave Kenny. You're my best friend" Maddy said. "I know it's all stupid Quinney. She made us leave the last place too." Kenny sniffed. It broke my heart.
It's not like I wanted to move around. But I needed to keep her safe, and I know if he took her I'd never see her again. And that's something I couldn't deal with. I already lost mom I couldn't lose her too. I went back to the room and laid down. I don't know maybe we could stay in this town for a while. It was small and I took the most secluded roads I could find. But I needed to be invisible and maybe this town could do it for me.