2 | The Hogwarts Express

Year 1 at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Making my way through the narrow hall of the train, I felt smaller than usual as I navigated through the kids, most of which were taller than I was. The other children seemed ecstatic though as they chatting to their friends with large smiles on their faces.

Everyone else seemed to know at least one other person, and most compartments were already full of students. Hearing the loud train whistle and feeling the slight rumble beneath my feet, I quickly located an empty car before nearly pushing my face against the glass and waving to my parents.

They waved back, blowing kisses and smiling from ear to ear as the train started to pull away. I watched as the two figures slowly got smaller and smaller, and when there was finally nothing but the imagination of where they had been standing, I sat back in the seat and stared out the window.

Hearing the door to the compartment open, a young boy about the same age as I was walked in and sat down near the door, as far away from me as possible. My face fell as my brain told me that it was happening all over again. Somehow on a train full of people with the same affliction as me, I was still the weird one.

However, before my young mind could drive me too wild, the boy looked up at me and pushed his circular, taped, glasses further up the bridge of his nose. "I'm Harry." he moved to sit directly opposite me so we were both next to the window.

"Yavana," I replied, pulling a strand of my blonde hair over my shoulder and twisting it around my finger, something I did when I was nervous.

Seconds later, another boy, the same age again with red hair, popped his head in. "Excuse me." he started, his voice quiet. "Do you mind? Everywhere else is full."

I shook my head, indicating that I was fine with it. "Not at all." the boy I had just met, Harry, motioned for the newcomer to join us.

Twisting one corner of his mouth into a grateful smirk, the boy with red hair walked in and sat down beside me. "I'm Ron, by the way. Ron Weasley."

Harry nodded as Ron turned to me, expecting me to spit out my name right away. "Yavana." I forced a small smile as I tried to push through my nerves, this being the first time I had met new people in a long time. "Yavana Rookwood."

"I'm Harry." the boy across from me with brown hair, much darker than my own, introduced himself.

Ron's eyes grew wide as he stared at the boy across from us. "So it's true! I mean, do you really have the..."

Harry eyed the boy; confusion plastered on his face for everyone to see. "The what?"

Ron looked around for a second, making sure the coast was clear for some reason, before leaning in. "The scar?" he asked, leaving me utterly confused as to why Ron was treating Harry like a mythical creature.

"Oh." Harry nodded, using his hand to push up his bangs, revealing a lightning bolt-shaped scar on the right side of his forehead.

"Wicked!" Ron smiled as an older woman walked by with a cart full of candy. Stopping in front of our compartment, she looked to the three of us with a smile as sweet as the treats on her trolly. "Anything off the trolley, dears?"

Holding up a smashed saran-wrapped sandwich, Ron sighed. "No, thanks. I'm all set."

"We'll take the lot." Harry reached into his pant's pocket and pulled out a handful of coins, causing Ron and me to gasp as our compartment slowly filled with different types of candy. However, it was candy that I had never seen or heard of in my entire life.

As we began opening the containers and trying the assorted sweets, I slowly felt myself begin to open up. Back home it had been the boys who treated me the worst, but here, so far, the boys were the only ones talking to me. It was quite a big difference, but I wasn't complaining.