53 | Ministry of Magic

Peering out the small door of the building we were hiding in, Ron gave us a thumbs-up as he knelt down on the sidewalk and pretended to tie his shoe, giving a subtle distraction as Harry and I knocked our victim out and pulled her inside.

We needed to get inside the Ministry of Magic headquarters and to do that we needed to look the part, which for us meant actually becoming the part. Once we had captured four Ministry workers, two male and two female, we plucked out bits of their hair and used them in a Polyjuice Potion.

"Right. Remember what we said." Hermione explained the plan one last time. "Don't speak to anyone unless absolutely necessary. Just try and act normal. Do what everybody else is doing. If we do that, then with a bit of luck, we'll get inside. And then..."

"It gets really tricky." Harry nodded.

"Correct."

Harry sighed as we stared at the four unconscious people. "This is completely mental."

"Completely." Hermione agreed.

I swallowed hard, "Mental."

"The world's mental," Ron said. "Come on...we've got a Horcrux to find."

After taking the potions and turning into the Ministry workers, we changed into their clothing and took to the streets. Harry was a man with brown hair and a long trench coat, Ron had glasses and a smart-looking mustache, Hermione was a shorter woman with a pencil skirt and her hair in a bun, and I was a black-haired woman in a pantsuit.

Making our way down to one of the bathrooms in the city, we split off into the males and females, and once in the stall, flushed ourselves down the toilet and into the headquarters, where we came out a fireplace and right into the heart of it all.

Heading off, Hermione and I acted natural and made our way past the guards before stopping at a large statue in the middle of the room. "Are those..." Harry walked up beside us.

Hermione nodded as we looked at the statue of people being squashed by a large pillar. "Muggles. In their rightful place."

"Gotta tell you, I'm starting to freak out a bit." Ron joined us.

Harry sighed. "How long did you say this batch of Polyjuice would last, Hermione?"

"I didn't."

Taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I followed the others into one of the many elevators. Just before the doors could close though, a man with long hair in a braid stuck his arm in the door. "Cattermole." he looked to Ron. "It's still raining inside my office. That's two days now."

"Have you tried an umbrella?" Ron gulped, trying to play his part.

"You do realize I'm going downstairs, don't you, Cattermole?" the man asked.

Ron cocked a brow. "Downstairs?"

"To interrogate your wife. Now, if my wife's blood status were in doubt and the Head of Department of Magical Law Enforcement needed a job doing, I think I might just make that a priority. You have one hour."

As the man finally walked away, the elevator door closed and we started to move. "Oh, my god." Ron started to freak out. "What am I gonna do? My wife's all alone downstairs."

"Ron, you don't have a wife." I reminded him.

"Oh, right."

"Level two" the woman's voice in the elevator said as we came to a stop.

As the doors opened, Ron turned to us. "But how do I stop it raining?"

"Try 'Finite Incantatem.'" Hermione said. "This is you, Ron."