24 | Time-Turner

Heading back down into the tunnel with Peter in our custody, I was finally able to take a breath and process everything that had just happened. It had all gone by so quickly that the only thing I remembered was once being scared of Lupin and Sirius, but now feeling as though they weren't that bad.

"Sorry about the bite." Sirius turned to Ron as he and Harry helped him walk, referring to when he had been in dog form. "I reckon that twinges a bit."

Ron scoffed. "A bit? A bit? You almost tore my leg off!"

"I was going for the rat," Sirius explained. "Normally, I have a very sweet disposition as a dog. More than once, James suggested that I make the change permanent. The tail I could live with. But the fleas, they're murder."

Once outside again with the Whomping Willow, which seemed calm at the moment, I looked up to the sky and saw that it was nearly completely dark out. Together, we sat Ron down on a large root so he could rest.

"You better go," Ron told Harry as Sirius started to walk off.

Harry shook his head. "No. Don't worry, okay? It's fine. I'll stay."

"You go, we'll stay," I told Harry.

As Harry went after Sirius, we turned our attention back to the bleeding wound on Ron's leg. "That looks really painful," Hermione commented.

"So painful." Ron winced. "They might chop it."

"I'm sure Madam Pomfrey will fix it in a heartbeat," I assured him.

Ron, who was trying to lighten the mood, sighed. "It's too late. It's ruined. It'll have to be chopped off."

Just then, Remus Lupin emerged from the hole with Peter. "Turn me into a flobberworm." Peter was still begging. "Anything but the dementors! Ron! Haven't I been a good pet? You won't let them give me to the dementors, will you? I was your rat! Sweet, clever girls! Surely you won't..."

"Get away from them!" Lupin yanked Peter to his feet.

"Harry!" Hermione yelled out of nowhere, pointing up at the sky where the clouds were parting, revealing the moon. The full moon, which wasn't good considering Remus was a werewolf.

"Remus, my old friend." Sirius ran over. "Have you taken your potion tonight? You know the man you truly are, Remus! This heart is where you truly live! Here! This flesh is only flesh!"

As Lupin dropped his wand, Peter quickly picked it up, but not seconds after, Harry disarmed him. With a smirk and a wave, Peter turned back into a rat and scurried off.

"Remus! Remus!" Sirius tried to prevent Lupin from turning, but there was really nothing he could do. So we stood there in terror, watching as Lupin fully transformed, pushing Sirius away.

"Wait. Wait." Hermione stopped us from running as she started walking towards the whining werewolf. "Professor? Professor Lupin?"

Looking up, the werewolf howled at the moon before stalking towards us. "Nice doggy. Nice doggy!" Ron blubbered as Snape crawled out of the tunnel.

"There you are, Potter!" Snape turned to us, not noticing the werewolf before it had already clawed him, knocking us all to the ground.

Just when we thought we were done for, the large black dog jumped out and started to fight the werewolf. Sirius versus Lupin. Seconds later the two canines ran off, with Harry stupidly chasing after them.

Turning to us, Snape insisted that Hermione and I take Ron back to the castle, so that's what we did while Snape went after Harry. It was a long walk back in the pitch black, but eventually we got there and made it to the hospital, where Madam Pomfrey bandaged up all of our wounds, included a rather large gash on my arm that I hadn't even noticed until then.