44 | Butterbeer

Trudging through the snow on our way into the small town located near the school, I shoved my cold hands into my jacket pocket as we crossed a small bridge that was nearly completely covered in snow.

"For weeks, you carry around this book. Practically sleep with it, and yet you have no desire to find out who the Half-Blood Prince is." Hermione turned to Harry, still nagging him about the book.

"I didn't say I wasn't curious, and I don't sleep with it." Harry denied.

Ron scoffed, knowing the truth. "Well, it's true. I like a nice chat before I got to bed. Now all you do is read that bloody book. It's just like being with Hermione."

"Ron!" I warned him, chuckling a bit though.

Crossing her arms, Hermione tried her best to block us out. "Well, I was curious, so I went to-"

"The library." the three of us finished her sentence. "And?"

"And nothing," Hermione grumbled, her story being incredibly anti-climactic. "I couldn't find a reference anywhere to a Half-Blood Prince."

"There we go. That settles it, then." Harry put the conversation to rest as we spotted Slughorn heading for one of the nearby pubs. "Does anyone fancy a butterbeer?"

Once inside the cozy little building, we headed over to an empty table and start to take our seats. "Ron, sit beside me." Harry requested as the boys sat on one side while Hermione as I sat on the other.

"Something to drink?" a man approached us.

"Four butterbeers and some ginger in mine, please," Hermione ordered as I caught Harry staring off, so I followed his gaze to see Draco disappear into the bathroom.

Fiddling in his chair, Ron looked over in the corner where Dean and Ginny were sitting together. "Oh, bloody hell. Slick git."

"Honestly, Ronald, they're only holding hands." Hermione said just as the two lovebirds started kissing. "And snogging."

"I'd like to leave." Ron requested just as our butterbeers arrived.

Hermione scoffed. "What? You can't be serious."

"That happens to be my sister."

"So? What if she looked over here and saw you snogging me? Would you expect her to get up and leave? Besides, you see Yavana and George all the time and only sometimes do you make a big deal about it."

Just then, Slughorn walked over to our table. "Hey, my boy." he greeted Harry.

Standing up with a huge smile on his face, Harry shook his hand. "Hello, sir. So wonderful to see you. So what brings you here?"

"Oh, Three Broomsticks and I go way back, further than I care to admit." Slughorn laughed. "I could remember when it was One Broomstick. Listen, my boy, in the old days, I used to throw together the occasional supper party for a select a student or two. Would you be game?"

"I'd consider it an honour, sir," Harry told him, seeming to really suck up to Slughorn all of a sudden.

"You would be welcome too, Granger." Slughorn looked down at us. "You, too, Rookwood."

Hermione smiled. "We'd be delighted, sir."

"Splendid! Look for my owl." he gave Ron a head nod before walking away. "Good to see you, Wallenby."

As Harry sat back down, Ron turned in his seat to face the strangely grinning boy. "What are you playing at?"

"Dumbledore's asked me to get to know him," Harry informed us. "It must be important. If it wasn't, Dumbledore wouldn't ask."