19 | Buckbeak the Hippogriff

"That's it. Come on, now. Come closer. Less talking, if you don't mind." Hagrid spoke as he started his first class of the year, the excitement visible in the way he looked at all of us with wide eyes and a smile. "I got a real treat for you today. A great lesson. So follow me."

Forming what could possibly pass as a line, we all walked behind Hagrid as he led us into the forest. It was much less intimidating in the day time, and when the sun was up, most creatures remained hidden. "Right, you lot. Less chattering." Hagrid turned to us when we reached the desired location. "Form a group over there. And open your books to page forty-nine."

"Exactly how do we do that?" Draco looked down at the book he was holding, which itself was a magical creature of sorts. Large black eyes on the cover of the book and short legs sticking out from the sides made it resemble a large furry spider.

"Just stroke the spine, of course," Hagrid told him as if it was obvious, which if you weren't a complete dimwit, it kind of was. "Goodness me."

Undoing the strap around the book to keep it from going mad, I stroked the spin of it and opened to page forty-nine. "I think they're funny," Hermione said, talking about something I wasn't paying attention to.

"Oh, yeah. Terribly funny." Draco scoffed. "Witty. God, this place has gone to the dogs. Wait until Father hears Dumbledore's got this oaf teaching classes."

"Shut up, Malfoy," Harry warned as he stepped up, earning a chuckle from Draco before he stepped up as well.

All of a sudden, Draco's face turned to pure fright. "Dementor! Dementor!" he called, making Harry look at the beast that wasn't actually there before he and his friends put up their hoods and mocked Harry.

"Just ignore him." Hermione ushered Harry back over to where we were standing.

Clearing his throat, Hagrid gained our attention before gesturing to the creature standing right beside him. "Isn't he beautiful?" Hagrid gushed. "Say hello to Buckbeak."

As soon as I saw it, I knew exactly what it was. A horse's body and a bird's head and wings, with hooves in the back and talons in the front; and yes, it was beautiful. "Hagrid, is that a hippogriff?" I gasped, slightly shocked at seeing one outside of my books.

"Very good, Miss Rookwood." Hagrid nodded. "First thing you wanna know about hippogriffs is they're very proud creatures. Very easily offended. You do not want to insult a hippogriff. It may be the last thing you ever do. Now, who'd like to come and say hello?"

As everyone else backed away, I found Harry and I being the only ones still standing forward. However, when Harry noticed, he too backed off, leaving just me. I was fine with it though, as getting to touch a hippogriff would easily be one of the most amazing things I had ever done.

"Well done, Yavana. Well done." Hagrid smiled and waved for me to stand beside him. "Come on now."

"O-okay." I placed my book down on the ground and followed his lead.

"Now, you have to let him make the first move. It's only polite. So step up. Give him a nice bow. Then you wait and see if he bows back." Hagrid instructed. "If he does, you can go and touch him. If not...well, we'll get to that later."

Everyone watched as I took a few small steps forward. "Just make your bow nice and low." Hagrid said as I followed his words, causing the hippogriff to spread its wings. "Now back off. Keep still. Keep still."

I felt my breathing hitch as my eyes stayed glued to the creature, waiting to see what its next move would be. Finally, it placed one of its front legs forward and bowed slightly. "Well done, Yavana. Well done." Hagrid tossed Buckbeak a piece of food. "Here, you big brute, you. Right. I think you can go and pat him now. Go on. Don't be shy."