4 | First Day Jitters

When morning broke the next day, bringing a start to our first full day at Hogwarts, Hermione and I woke up, got changed, and headed down to our first class with Mrs. McGonagall, the woman with the witches hat from the day before. Breakfast was being served in the Great Hall, but both Hermione and I were a little too nervous and excited to eat.

After finding our seats in the room full of first years from all four houses, we got a short introduction before the teacher turned herself into a cat and sat atop the desk, waiting for Harry and Ron, who were late, to show up.

Not long after, the doors swung open and the two boys ran in, books in their hands and panic on their faces. "Made it!" Ron looked around the room and noticed that there was no teacher in sight, or so he thought. "Can you imagine the look on old McGonagall's face if we were late?"

Just then, the grey and black cat jumped from the desk and transformed back into McGonagall. "That was bloody brilliant!" Ron commented, his face twisted into a mixture of fear and amazement.

"Thank you for that assessment Mr. Weasley." she glared down at him through her glasses. "Perhaps it'd be more useful if I transfigured Mr. Potter and yourself into a pocket-watch. That way one of you might be on time."

Harry swallowed hard. "We got lost."

"Then perhaps a map?" she asked. "I trust you don't need one to find your seats."

Once our first class was over, we moved into our second one, which was Potions with Professor Snape. The classroom was silent for a while as we waited for him to arrive, but soon enough the door burst open and the man with jet black hair and a long black robe strode into the room. "There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few...who possess the predisposition...I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death. Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough....to not pay attention."

Looking over, both Hermione and I nudged Harry with our elbows. Looking up, he placed down the quill that he had been using to write notes with and stared up at Professor Snape.

"Mr. Potter." Snape took a few steps closer. "Our new celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Hermione's hand shot up right away, but Harry just stared back, empty of answers and slightly embarrassed. "You don't know?" Snape cocked a brow. "Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find a bezoar?"

Again, Hermione raised her hand. "I don't know, sir," Harry answered.

"And what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

"I don't know, sir."

Snape scoffed. "Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything...is it, Mr. Potter?"

______________

Sitting down at the Gryffindor table for lunch, I sighed as I joined Ron and Harry, my mind full of so many things that I wasn't even sure if I could remember my own name.

"Eye of rabbit, harp string hum. Turn this water into rum." one of the boys from our classes shouted as he waved his wand at his cup of water.

"What's Seamus trying to do to that glass of water?" Harry asked, watching as the kids sitting around the boy starting growing annoyed.

"Turn it to rum." Ron answered. "Actually managed a weak tea yesterday, before..."

All of a sudden, a loud exploding sound followed by a puff of smoke made us all jump. Looking over at Seamus, his face was covered in soot and his water was smoking. The boys around him started to laugh, finding joy in the exploding mistake.