28 | The Goblet of Fire

"Alastor Moody." the short man with a brown trench coat and single fake eye introduced himself as he started writing his name on the chalkboard. "Ex-Auror...Ministry malcontent...and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. l am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. When it comes to the Dark Arts, l believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?"

"Three, sir," Hermione answered, her bottom lip quivering slightly as she spoke.

"And they are so named?"

"Because they are unforgivable. The use of any one of them will-"

"-Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct." Moody nodded. "The Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. l say different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared. You need to find another place to put your chewing gum beside the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!"

Everyone turned around to look at Seamus. "No way. The old codger can see out the back of his head." Seamus complained as Moody threw the piece of chalk he was holding at him.

"And hear across classrooms!" Moody yelled. "So which curse shall we see first? Weasley!"

"Yes?" Ron spoke in what could probably pass as a whimper as his head snapped up towards Professor Moody.

"Stand," Moody ordered as Ron sheepishly rose to his feet. "Give us a curse."

Ron thought for a moment. "Well, my dad did tell me about one. The lmperius Curse."

"Oh, yeah, your father would know all about that." Moody eyed Ron, his fake eye moving back and forth. "Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why."

Walking over to his desk, Professor Moody lifted the lid off of a glass container and reached his hand inside. "Hello. Lovely little beauty." he picked up the small, scorpion-like insect. "Engorgio. Imperio!"

The first part of the spell doubled the creature's size, most likely so it was more easily visible to the entire class. The second part made it float and follow wherever Moody's wand pointed. First, Moody placed the insect on the desk between Dean and Neville, causing them to both push their chairs back before the insect was placed on Crabbe's head.

"Don't worry. lt's completely harmless." Moody told the class as he continued tormenting us by placing the bug on our faces and heads. "lf she bites, she's lethal. Talented, isn't she? What should l have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself?" Moody smacked the insect into the window before hovering it inches above the water, showing just how much the curse affected its mind. "Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only did You-Know-Who's bidding under the influence of the lmperius Curse. But here's the rub: How do we sort out the liars? Another, another. Up, up. Come on. Longbottom, is it? Up. Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology."

Standing up, Neville nodded. "There's the...the Cruciatus Curse."

"Correct, correct. Come, come." Moody waved Neville up to his desk. "Particularly nasty. The torture curse. Crucio!"

After casting the spell, the insect started to squirm around, shrieking in pain, which was obviously bothering Neville by the way his face scrunched up while watching the poor thing suffer. "Stop it!" Hermione yelled. "Can't you see it's bothering him? Stop it!"

Stopping the curse, which gave the bug, and Neville, instant relief from the pain, Moody picked it up and placed it on top of Hermione's books. "Perhaps you could give us the last Unforgivable Curse, Miss Granger." Moody looked down at her, but she wouldn't say anything. "No? Avada Kedavra!"