17 | Lights Out

Year 3 at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The summer between my second and third year at Hogwarts was definitely a much more entertaining one than the one before. After my dad had re-connected with Ron's parents, we ended up spending a lot of time with the Weasley's before they took a trip to Egypt, which they had kindly invited me on as a thanks for helping to save Ginny, but I had to turn it down.

My parents weren't too keen on me going to Egypt without them, but they used the excuse of wanting to spend more family time together, which we did for the first week or so before falling back into our old ways. We had, however, taken a little trip of our own to Essex to visit my mom's sister, who was also a wizard, but that wasn't too entertaining for me.

The only thing worth remembering over the summer was the fact that for some odd reason, probably to do with that fact that we were always at the Weasley's house, I had developed a weird and unexplained crush on Ron's brother George, which I, of course, had to keep a secret.

If there was one thing I knew about Ron, it was that he would blab to his brothers without even having to be bribed. I had no clue why I liked George though, because he, just like his twin brother, was an irresponsible, red-headed, crazy, untrustworthy prankster.

When the day to return to Hogwarts finally came, my family and I headed down to a famous pub and inn located in London called The Leaky Cauldron. We were supposed to meet everyone there for a small get together before we took off, and that was all I knew. However, just like usual, no one was able to get a hold of Harry. His aunt and uncle truly were the worst.

Opening the door to the pub, I could immediately hear the voices of Ron and Hermione as they bickered back and forth. "I'm warning you, Hermione." Ron snapped. "Keep that beast away from Scabbers, or I'll turn it into a tea cozy."

"It's a cat, Ronald." I walked into the room just as Hermione lifted her orange cat, Crookshanks, into her arms. "What do you expect? It's in his nature."

Ron rolled his eyes as his rat squirmed in his hands. "A cat? Is that what they told you? Looks like a pig with hair."

"That's rich...coming from the owner of that smelly old shoe brush. Crookshanks, just ignore the mean little boy."

Removing my jacket and placing it on the back of one of the chairs, I smiled at the two, who like I, had grown over the summer. "Fighting already?" I chuckled, pulling Hermione in for a hug after only seeing her once or twice over the summer.

"Harry," Ron spoke, spotting the familiar boy standing on the staircase.

After greeting each other and catching up, Ron sat us down and told us all about his trip to Egypt. "Egypt." Harry looked down at the moving picture of the Weasley family in the desert that was in the paper. "What's it like?"

"Brilliant," Ron answered, still holding his rat. "Loads of old stuff...like mummies, tombs, even Scabbers enjoyed himself."

"You know the Egyptians used to worship cats," Hermione spoke up.

Ron looked up at her, the two obviously still mad at one another. "Yeah, along with the dung beetle."

"Not flashing that clipping again?" George teased his brother as he snatched the paper off of the table.

Ron turned his head to look at the twins. "I haven't shown anyone."

"No, not a soul." Fred laughed. "Not unless you count Tom."

"The day maid," George added.

Fred nodded. "Night maid."

"Cook."