10 | The Chamber of Secrets

"It's a bit strange, isn't it?" Hermione asked as we made our way back to the Gryffindor common room. After being interrogated by professor Snape, we were finally let off the hook by Dumbledore and allowed to head up to bed.

Slowing down, Harry eyed her. "Strange?"

"You hear this voice, a voice only you can hear...and then Mrs. Norris turns up Petrified," Hermione explained. "It's just strange."

"Do you think I should have told them?" Harry asked. "Dumbledore and the others, I mean?"

I cocked a brow. "Do you want them to think you're crazy? Even in the wizarding world, hearing voices isn't a good sign."

Once back in the common room, Harry and the others headed up to bed, but for some reason I just wasn't tired. So, instead, I sat down on the couch in front of the fireplace with the book I had been reading earlier and turned to the page I had been on about unicorns. After seeing a real unicorn the year before, dead or not, it had sparked my interest even further.

When I was little unicorns were my favourite animals, then I was told they weren't real, then I was told they were. My life had been a sort of confusing one, to begin with, but now it seemed to be on track, or at least I hoped it was.

After about an hour or so of reading, I decided it was finally time to call it a night. I went to stand up and head upstairs, but when I did my feet wouldn't move and I fell flat on my face. Laughing followed soon after and I looked up to see Fred and George a few feet away, wands in their hands and smiles on their faces.

They were always up to no good and pranking people was their specialty, but I had thought since I was in the same house as them and that I was Ron's friend, they would leave me alone; but I guess I was wrong.

"Dammit, you two!" I yelled at the two older boys. "Did you freeze my feet? Come on, really?"

After a bit of persuading, I finally got them to undo the spell and let me go to bed. I swear, those two were the most annoying people I had ever met.

_______________

"Could I have your attention, please?" McGonagall spoke as she stood at the front of the room, "Right. Now, today, we will be transforming animals into water goblets. Like so. One, two, three. Vera Verto."

Watching her movements, we all tried to memorize her words as she turned the large blackbird in front of her into a beautiful silver goblet. A few kids gasped, mouths open, at the weird but impressive spell. "Now it's your turn." McGonagall, who was easily my favourite teacher in the school, looked at us. "Who would like to go first? Mr. Weasley. One, two, three. Vera Verto."

Nodding, Ron picked up his still broken wand and pointed it at his rat. "Vera Verto!" he spoke, managing to turn the rat into a furry cup with a tail.

"That wand needs replacing, Mr. Weasley," McGonagall told him as Hermione rose her hand. "Yes, Miss Granger?"

"Professor...I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets."

At first McGonagall's face was stone cold, contemplating it in her mind as we all waited for the answer. "Very well." she agreed. "You all know, of course...that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw and Salazar Slytherin. Now, three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not. Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, pure-bloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend...Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true Heir returned to the school. The Heir alone would be able to open the Chamber and unleash the horror within, and by so doing...purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."