Through Highs & lows: chapter 10

We sign out of school and go out to Kat's car. While we drive to her house I pull out my phone to text Colby. "Hey Kat?" I say glancing over to her, then back at my phone. "Yeah?" She responds. "How does this sound. 'Hey the headache was really bad so I had to go home, Kat insisted on taking me to make sure I'm okay, and because my parents are at work and I came with you. Can please get whatever work we get today for me? That's all thank you. I love you.'I sent it to Colby." I say. "Yeah sounds fine. We're like five minutes from home. How are you holding up?" Kat asks. "I'm still picking up a few broken pieces, but I'm doing fine now. I feel kind of bad for lying to him though." I say looking down at the text message again, before turning off my phone. "Well you could just tell him the truth" Kat says. "You know I can't and I've told you why a million times. You know all those times I told you I was trying harder to convince myself, instead of you. Now he's asking me about other girls and there's nothing left I need to be convinced of." I sigh. "I know. I just... I don't know. It doesn't seem right. I know the way he looks at you. He loves you." Kat says pulling into her driveway. "I know. That's what I always saw, but maybe it was just what we wanted to see. I know he loves me, but it's as a friend and I need to except that." I say as we unbuckle ourselves and get out the car. "I don't believe it, but maybe. It doesn't matter though, if every guy in the world leaves us, we'll have each other okay." Kat smiles, as she wraps he arms around my shoulder. "Deal." I lightly laugh. "Only you can make me feel better anyways." I say as she unlocks the door. "Exactly and you know it's the exact same thing vise versa." She smiles. "But don't give up Sam. He'll never love you like I do, but I'll admit he'll love you like I can't. I can see it in him, that he'll do close to anything for you. Of course I'll do absolutely anything for you, but I can't give you that gross passionate love like he does." I say serious, but laughing at the last sentence. "Of course Tedds." She laughs. "Oh my God. We haven't said that in over a year. We were so weird." I laugh. "Hey I still like it." Kat says. "It's okay I do too." I laugh. Kat and I used to call each other Tedds, because it's short for teddy bear, and we would always be there for one another to comfort each other when we were sad. Calling each other 'Tedds' was like saying best friend or sister. We walk into the kitchen to see her mom on the phone with someone. She points to the kettle, letting us know we can grab some tea. She puts her hand to the phone. "I'll be right back. It's just information for a patient as kaiser." She says before getting up and walking to the living room. Kat and I grab cups and pour some tea. "I grab the honey and spoons, while she grabs the sugar. We make the tea and drink it in sips, because it's still hot. "I like coffee better than tea." Kat says put of nowhere. "I don't recall asking, but okay." I joke. "Hey I will spill this on you." She threaten. "No I'm joking." I laugh. We both laugh for a moment, before her mom walks back into the kitchen. "So you girls seem to be doing okay now." Kat's mom says. "I could be better, but I could be a lot worse, so yeah." I smile. "Can't we all." She laughs. Eventually we all go to the living room and sit down, deciding to just talk for a while. "Okay. I should get home. It's already almost three." I say, getting up. "Oh okay. I'll take you." Kat offers. "No Kat really. You've done enough for me today. I don't want you to have to drive back. I'll just take Uber. The Uber doesn't take long to arrive, nor drop me off at my house. I fish around for my keys until I find them and open the door to my house. When I walked into my house no one is home so I send my parents a quick text letting him know I'm home. I just decide to sit on the couch and relax for a while. Just as I sit down I hear a knock on the door though.