Through High & lows: Chapter 75

I get back in the car and hand my mom her drink. She thanks me and takes a drink, before setting it in her cup holder. I do the same, taking a drink, before putting my drink in the cup holder, beside hers. "Okay. On to this mystery location." I laugh. "Mhm." My mom smiles, before starting the car and pulling off. "So... why were you up so late last night?" I ask her. "I just couldn't really sleep." She says. "Is it because we pick up dad today?" I ask. "Yes and no. Yeah, but honestly as an adult there's never just one thing to stress about." She answers truthfully. "I get that. Did you happen to want to talk about it?" I smile. "No. That's much to talk about." She says, taking a familiar turn. "Wait...? Are we going to my school?" I ask. "So you figured it out." She laughs. "What? This was supposed to be our day to talk together. We'll talk after. I need to talk to your dad today." She says. "Your not gonna take me with you?" I ask. She glances at me with an unsure and kind of sorry look left in her eyes. "Why not? Mom you can't just continuously try to go through everything alone. You can't push me out. It's not fair." I argue. Being honest I was upset. I won't let her hurt like that and act like it's okay. "I won't be alone. You're farther will be there. I'm gonna talk to him." She says. "Yeah he's the man who cheated on you. Did you already forget, because I'm sure he didn't." I say, still upset. "Caroline!" She says, as her eyes start to form a gloss over them. "What I'm sorry, but it's true." I say. "I know that. Listen..." she says raising her voice and sighing on the last word. "You farther and I need to talk everything through then we'll let you know how everything goes when you get home. First we have to figure it out though." She says. "That's not fair." I say, as tears form in my eyes. I can't tell if it's because I'm angry or scared. "Caroline please." She says, pulling up in front of my school. "I don't have my backpack." I say as a valid excuse. "It's in the trunk." She answers. "When..." before I can finish asking, she already answers my question. "While you were in the shower." She says. "Why do you insist on doing everything alone?" I say. "I don't." She says. "That's a lie and we both know it. Just answer my question truthfully and I'll leave." I sigh. She sighs, before placing her hand over mine. "For as long as I can remember I've always had your farther by my side. He was the one I leaned on. Then all of a sudden he wasn't there. He was with someone else. He was sneaking around. Caroline, he's not a bad man, but I don't know if he's mine anymore. He's been my go to forever though. I don't know who to go to." She explains now crying. Seeing her in tears, make mine fall over. "You go to me! You go to your daughter who wouldn't leave you." I say, trying to keep my voice clear. "I know. But not this time. I have to talk to your dad first." She says. "He's still your husband you know." I sigh wiping my tears. "Of course I do." She says. "Why do you keep saying 'your dad' or 'your farther' then?" I ask. "Because I might have to. You said you'll go to school." She says, changing the subject. I roll my eyes, knowing school is now the last place I need to be. "Fine. I'll see you tonight. I'm not gonna lie I probably won't want to be home right after school. I doubt you'll be done talking by then anyways." I say. "That's fine." She says. "Fine. Open the trunk." I say getting out the car and closing the door behind me. The trunk pops up as I walk to the back of the car. I grab my bag and close the trunk. As I pass the driver side of the car, walking up to the school,nay mom rolls down her window. "I love you." She says. I stop and look at her for a quick moment. "I know." I sigh, before facing forward again and confusing to walk. I know that felt really mean, but I didn't know what to say. She can't refuse to let me in then say she loves me. I hear her car pull off as I get to the front doors of the school. Before stepping inside I pull out my phone. I dial my mom and luckily she picks up. "I live you too." I say into the phone. I hang up, before she can respond though. I know she loves me and I couldn't not tell her I love her too. My conscious wouldn't even let me.