Through Highs & lows: chapter 24

"What are you thinking about?" Colby asks. "Your annoying ass." I laugh. "I'm not annoying." He objects. "Right..." I say sarcastically, before laughing. I hear Kat start to laugh from the front seat. "Shut up you two are the annoying ones." Colby says with a laugh. "Mhm." Kat and I both say in unison, while rolling our eyes, causing us both to laugh even more. Kat pulls up to my house and parks the car. "Whatever. I'm taking all the food." Colby says, grabbing the bags of Mc. Donald's. "I'm not hungry remember?" I say. "Yeah, we'll see about that, when we're the only two up and you see me eating without you." He says before getting out of the car. "He has a point." Kat laughs as we both get out of the car. I walk around to the passenger seat and open the door. "Kat can you open the door. I'll wake up my mom, then we'll go inside." I say looking at her. She nods her head. She walks to the door along with Colby, as I wake my mother up. It doesn't take long for her to wake up. She gets out of the car and we go inside. I can tell she's still tired though. I close the door behind me. "You can go to bed mom. I'll wake you up, when we're getting ready to go." I say. "Okay. Thank you." She says before hugging me and going to bed. "Kat you're free to sleep in my room or the living room or wherever, but you already know that." I laugh. "Yeah. I'll probably put on some YouTube or something and fall asleep on the couch." Kat says. "Okay sounds good." I smile. "Wait? Does Sam know anything that's going on right now?" Colby asks. "Yeah." Kat says. "Kat texted him last night. He's going to meet us at the hospital at two." I say. "Why doesn't he just come here for now?" Colby asks. I sigh, knowing that the answers probably going to do the thing I was trying to prevent. "Because, at the hospital I'll probably being crying, I'll probably need comfort, and that's okay. However, if he comes and so much as looks at me with sympathy or asks me if I'm okay. I'm going to cry. I know I will, because I'm not okay. I'm being eaten alive with worry and sorrow from the inside out. You guys being here and us having normal conversations soothes that pain. I love Sam so much, but if I bring him in right now it risks losing this for the moment. And I don't want to constantly feel how I do. I can't Colby. I'll break." I say as tears begin to form. "Fuck." I whisper, wiping them away. "Okay. No need to be a baby." He jokes, trying to make it normal again. I flip him off and snatch the food from his hand. "Bitch." Is all I retort, causing him to laugh, and me to smile. I take in a breath. "So what are we watching?" I ask Kat. She doesn't answer, so I walk over to the couch, to see that she's already asleep. "Okay. That was fast." I lightly laugh. That feeling of sorrow had grown again, from earlier, but was starting to ease down bit by bit again. "She's asleep?" Colby asks, as he walks over. "Yup." I laugh. "Want to watch Kian and Jc?" Colby asks. "Yeah. Sure." I smile. "Do you know that Kian's like 19 and JC's like 22." I say clicking on their YouTube channel. "Yeah. So what's your point?" Colby asks. "Well Kian's only a year older than you." I say. "So my role model is JC though." Colby says confused. "I know, but Kian's kinda cute, don't you think." I say. Colby's mouth drops open. "No I don't think so. Why would you even tell me that. I literally asked you out today." He says getting up and walking to the kitchen. "Why are you going to the kitchen? The foods in here." I laugh following him. "That's not funny. I'm just getting away from you." He says crossing his arms. "Oh come on I was joking." I laugh, catching up to him and pulling him to a stop. He turns around and looks at me. "Okay. I wasn't joking, but if anyone asked me I'd say you're cuter. Plus you know I don't love him, like I love you." I say, making puppy eyes. "Fine. I give in." He says. "Yesss.I knew you would." I say hugging him. "So you'll go out with me?" He says hugging me back. "Nice try, but no." I laugh, while pulling away. "Fine, but don't think I won't ask you everyday, until you say yes though." He argues.