Through Highs & lows: Chapter 28

We arrive at the hospital in a short matter of time. When we walk in we see Sam and Kat's parents waiting in the front entrance area. I go up to Kat's parents and hug them, before hugging Sam right after. "Did you guys go in yet?" I ask Sam as I pull away. "No we thought it'd be best to waite for you guys." Sam says. "Oh okay. Well come on then." I say turning away and walking toward the hallway my dad's room is in. I turn around and see my mom and Kat's parents talking. To the left of them Sam and Kat were talking. Knowing Kat, she's probably cathing Sam up on everything. Wait where'd Colby go? I literally just saw him. "Hey." He says in a soft tone, from next to me. I get startled and jump a little. "How'd you...?" I say confused. "Magic." Colby says waving his fingers around. "No just kidding. I walked up to you as you were turning around. I actually thought you saw me." He says grabbing ahold of my right hand. "Oh that makes sense I guess." I say, shrugging. We walked into the room my dad was in and there goes my heart breaking all over again. This time it wasn't quite as bad though. Almost as if the pain was slightly numbed down. Maybe it was because I actually had everyone with me this time, or maybe I'm just getting used to the feeling. Either way, I know the feeling will never fully go away until I get my dad back. I let go of Colby's hand and walk up to his bed and kneel next to it. "Please wake up. I love you. We need you dad." I say. I feel a sob in the back of my throat, waiting to escape. I don't let it though. I just slam my eyes shut and squeeze my dads hand. "Please." I beg in a whisper. I feel a tear stream down my face. I open my eyes and use my available hand to wipe it away. I loosen my grip on my dad's hand as I look up, trying to keep any more tears from falling. Then I feel something. I feel a small squeeze. It was my dad he squeezed my hand. I look down at him and see his eyelashes flutter. His eyes don't open, but they moved as if he was trying to. "Oh my god." I hear my mom voice, reminding me I wasn't the only one here. "The doctor." I say, pressing the button on the side of the bed. All of sudden I feel my mom's presence right beside me and when I look over to her there are tears streaming down her face. I put my arm around her and rub her back, trying to comfort her the best I can. It doesn't take long for a nurse to come in. "What happened?" The nurse says, looking at my dads charts that are in her hands. I explain what happened to her, trying to keep my voice steady. "Well it's only been two days, if this is correct, that's pretty early for something like this to happen. However this is usually a good sign." The nurse says, looking around at all of us. "Usually?" I ask, letting my tears finally fall freely down my face. "Don't worry I'm sure it is. We will do brain scans and check everything out. For now though, I'm going to have to ask you come back tomorrow. I'm sorry it's just the only way for now." The nurse says with sympathetic eyes. "Okay." My mom answers. The doctor turns her head toward my mom. "I'll let you know if we find anything concerning or important to know. You have my word. Until then just come back tomorrow from two p.m. to four p.m., someone will be here to let you know what's going on or anything else you need to know." We all agree before leaving. My mom and I are the last ones to leave the room. Before leaving the room though I turn to the nurse. "Thank you." I say to the nurse with an appreciative smile. "Of course. It's my job. But despite that you guys are a really sweet family and are the reason I work a job like this." She smiles. I smile as tears stream down my face. I don't say anything else, just turn around and walk out before closing the door. My mom looks at me as we walk down the hallway and toward the front. "It's going to be okay. I know it is, I have a gut feeling." My mom says to me with a smile, though tears still fall down her face. "I hope so." I say hugging her.