Through Highs & lows: chapter 31

"Are you sure or are you just saying that, because you feel bad saying anything?" Colby asks. "No I'm sure." I say blushing, because I know honestly that it's because of both reasons. "Your lying, but fine." He says, scooting his chair back in. "Thank you." I whisper. I'm just one of those people who don't like making a big deal out of anything, unless I need to. Don't confuse me for a push over though, because I push back when I need to. Colby knows that. I begin eating my fries, until I'm almost done. "Why haven't you touched your burger?" My mom from Kat's side asks. "Oh I ate at the house, so I'm not too hungry. I'll probably take it to go." I answer, I mean I technically wasn't really lying. "Oh okay." She says. "Yeah. I forgot how big the burger was." I laugh. "I know right." Sam agrees. "How did I eat this?" He laughs. "You didn't. You ordered it from the kids meal." Kat says. "Yeahhh." He says in realization. "Really? How am I dating you?" She laughs. "Hey?" Sam says, pretending to pout and looking down. "I'm just kidding. I'm dating you because I love you. Plus my parents like you too." She laughs, laying her hand on his and looking over to them. "She's not wrong." Kat's dad says. "That's coming from my dad. That's how you know." Kat adds. "Haha true. I love you too." Sam says smiling. "Hey Colbyyy." I say before turning to him. "Yeah?" he asks. "Do you wanna give me some of your fries?" I say. "You finished them already?" He asks in shock. "Yeah. Remember how we were gonna share a plate... This is like the same thing." I say making puppy eyes. "No because I'm just giving you my food." He says, not making eye contact, because he knows, what I'm doing. "You can have my burger. Pleaseee. Don't you love me?" I say now poking out my bottom lip too. "Fine, but I don't want your burger." He says, looking up at me. "Yay. I love you." I say as my face lights up, before I grab one of his fries and eat it. "I love you too." He lightly laughs. "Damn how am I suppose to even say no. It's always worth it seeing your face light up though." He says wrapping his arm around my waist, while I reach for another fry. "Hehe. The love of my life, will always share his food." I smile at him. "I know, only because I love you too much to say no." He laughs. The waiter comes back and asks if we are done. "Yeah, can we please have a few to go boxes though?" My mom asks. "Yeah. How many?" The waiter asks. I look around the table. "Four please?" I answer. "Okay. I'll be right back." He smiles before leaving. It seemed kind of flirtatious, but I didn't pay him any attention. He comes back and just hands me the containers. I take one, and pass the rest down to whoever needs one. I put my burger, that I'll probably just let my mom eat inside the container. "Okay so here's the bill. I'll be back and I hope you enjoyed your meal. I mean meals." He says looking away from me and at everyone. I see Colby clench his jaw, and the table becomes awkwardly quiet. The waiter walks off to another table. I let out a sigh, knowing how tense Colby is. "So I'll pay." I say signing the receipt and leaving the cash on the table. "What? No. I'm sorry, I'll pay babe." Colby says, pulling out his wallet, but I stop him. "I already signed it anyways and put the money down." I say. "You didn't have to. I said I'd pay." He says with now soft eyes. "It's good. Your got it next time." I laugh. "Fine. Your lucky that di... I mean jerk got me distracted on the thought of punching him." he says glancing over to Kat's parents and my mom. "Yeah. Well it's okay. I'm here with you. Well you and everyone else, but exclusively with you. There's no need to worry."  I say scooting closer to him, as his grip tightens around my waist. "Come on let's go." I say to everyone. We all get up and grab our stuff. "Waite I need to go to the bathroom really quickly." Kat says. "Yeah. I'll go with you." I say. "Okay we'll were going to our house." Kat's mom says. "Okay. We'll see you later." I say. "Love you." My mom says. "Love you guys too." Kat and I both say. "We'll meet you outside in the parking lot." Colby says. "Yeah okay. We'll be there soon." I say before Kat and I turn around and walk to the bathroom.